Thinking of a career in the Essex Procurement Team? Let us tell you all about it:
- The estimated total population for Essex is over 1.5 million, it also has 14 district and unitary councils location within the area, which makes Essex County Council one of the largest and most ambitious Local Authorities in the country.
- ECC is leading change in Local Government and shaping the future of local communities. Working with DCLG and other agencies to shape policy, we have over 120 people that currently make up the procurement department.
- Here at ECC we offer unparalleled opportunities for jobs and career development. Essex County Council permanent employees receive a variety of benefits including mobile and flexible working. There is such a wide variety of activity within the council, so new opportunities for learning and development are constantly being offered which helps with career progression. We are also a CIPS accredited procurement department, and we support our team members to obtain the CIPS qualification.
You can find further information about procurement at ECC here.
A message from our director
“Do you want to make a real difference to people’s lives and the environment in which they live? Essex County Council provides for the most vulnerable in society as well as vital community based and universal services that have a direct impact on the residents and businesses of Essex.
We are passionate about using our procurement spend to improve the lives of local residents and the environment in which they live and are looking for individual with that same passion and belief.”
Melanie Evans, Director of Procurement
An insight into our work
AWD, Children & Families Team
This team is split in to three main areas:
- Adults with Disabilities and Mental Health Accommodation Team, which looks after residential and supported living accommodation for adults with disabilities and those needing further support due to their mental health.
- Adults with Disabilities, PSI and Mental Health Community Team, which covers day opportunities and support outside of residential support, including supported employment services and support for those with sensory impairment.
- Children’s and Families and Public Health, which covers Public Health contracts including substance misuse recovery services. Children’s Accommodation services, which covers the residential placements for children in care. Fostering and Adoption and Domestic violence support and education and schools.
Climate, Environment & Customer Service Team
The waste team has 4 key portfolios:
- Waste – Covering residual, biowaste and household recycling centres
- Energy – Purchasing utilities for all of Essex estates & managing energy contrac
- Climate Action & Mitigation – Procuring green infrastructure and mitigating flood risk
The Corporate Team is split into two halves:
- Supporting with all tech requirements – hardware, software, telephony and many more
- Procurement of software
- Running of hardware
- Core Corporate
- Provide support for reward
- Support for training
- Support for consultancy
- Support with recruitment processes
- Support with finance, pensions & insurance
Data & Insight Team
Data and Insight supports the wider Procurement team by helping them to make data lead decisions:
- Report on Power BI on key figures relating to major contracts
- Reporting on risks related to suppliers
- Keeping track of KPI’s to track trends in progress
Economy & Investment Team
The Economy, Investment & Sustainability procures any requirements from road infrastructure to legacy grazing:
- Highways – Sourcing multi-million pound contracts for roads
- Housing – Providing homes and residential areas
- Facility management & PFI
Older People Team
Our Older People Team oversee these aspects of Procurement:
- Domiciliary Care
- Care in the Community
- Equipment to assist with daily living
- Technology Enabled Care
- Carer workforce
- Provider Communities
- Residential and Nursing Care homes
Strategy & Assurance Team
Our Strategy & Assurance Team cover the following:
- Workflows & Guidance Documentation
Learn more about our teams
“ECC is somewhere where you can progress and continually learn if you put yourself out there and work hard. It’s a very trusting organisation and this is demonstrated through the flexible and home working options.” – Molly Brown
“Working at Essex County Council allows for a challenging but fulfilling work lifestyle which allows you to push yourself and learn new skills and develop as a professional.” – Jawid Hassani
Hear more of Jawid’s story here
“ECC is a really good opportunity to make a difference. In our team I work with lots of skilled and dedicated people, with a passion to support change.” – Lucy Johnson
“The development and learning opportunities I have been able to access while at Essex have given me the skills and experience necessary to embark on a career in an exciting field that really makes a difference.” – John Sharman
“If you want a challenge and are driven to succeed this is the job for you. There is full support for studying CIPS and flexible working.” – Rula Dymond
“ECC provides opportunities for growth and development and public procurement allows for positive impact on the local community.” – Victoria Robertson
Find out more about Victoria’s journey
“It’s a great place to have a career journey with continuous development and breadth of experience opportunities.” – Jackie Gregory
More from Procurement
Interested in a career in Procurement? Click here to view our current vacancies.
Want to read more about our staff experiences? You can find more blogs and information here.