Youth Support Worker in Training
Permanent, Full Time
£19,308 per annum
Working Style: Community-based worker
Closing Date: Monday 15th August 2022
Mobile and flexible working requirements: must be available for evenings and weekend working, up to 8 evenings per fortnight.
We are currently seeking a Youth and Community Based Youth Support Worker in Training to support the development of youth work in the community.
Working face to face with young people as part of a team, you will ensure young people have positive experiences, by working with them to identify what’s important to them and then being part of developing good youth work activities with them. Your base will be Goodman House Harlow and you will work with local youth work teams including volunteers in community youth clubs, areas covered to include Epping Forest, Uttlesford and Harlow.
You will need to be someone who can focus on putting young people at the heart of your work. Working flexible hours, including evenings, weekends and residentials, you will join an experienced team of youth workers in a variety of youth work settings.
This is an Apprenticeship opportunity, studying towards a Youth Support Worker, Level 3 qualification.
- Identify areas of need and opportunity within the community where a youth work programme can be identified to support the development of youth provision delivered by the community.
- Support the commissioning of services by working with the community to enhance their skills so they can be more independent in design and delivery of services.
- Negotiate with young people and their communities on their involvement in the programme planning, implementation, and evaluation.
- Contribute to and promote the programme to ensure that opportunities are accessible to all who wish to become involved.
- As part of the team involve young people in the decision-making processes whereby individuals and groups take on responsibilities for themselves and others in their project and the wider community.
- As part of the team respond to individual and group needs, this includes issues affecting young people, promoting self-awareness and self-esteem.
- To deliver or support the direct delivery of youth work programmes as may be required, to include residential experiences for young people.
- Take part in management supervision and the staff performance management scheme, to identify priorities and learning needs and to be responsible for the learning and development of self and to complete all required training and accreditation within 2 years of starting employment.
- Follow Child Protection Guidelines and report any concerns using the correct procedure and comply with individual responsibilities for staff and young people, in accordance with work role, for health and safety in the workplace.
- Ensure all duties and services provided are in accordance with the County Council Equal Opportunities Policy and Practice.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties commensurate with the level and accountabilities of the post as directed by the Youth Work Commissioner.
The Experience You Will Bring
- Passionate about supporting young people.
- Good level of numeracy and literacy. Due to the Apprenticeship standard, you will need to attain a Level 2 Functional Skills in both Maths & English by the time of End Point Assessment (if you do not already have these qualifications).
- Minimum entry criteria - it is essential for any applicant to have Functional Skills Level 1 in Maths and English (or equivalent), which equates to a Grade D or E GCSE (or Grade 2 / 3) to begin the Apprenticeship.
- A JNC recognised Youth Work Qualification would be an advantage, but not essential.
- Experience working with young people and communities would be an advantage, this experience could be in a voluntary role
- Ability to build relationships and relate well to people
- Ability to work in a changing environment
- Commitment to challenging prejudice and ignorance
- Ability to develop work with young people and communities to achieve planned outcomes
- Ability to work as part of a team
** Please note that the job role requires you to be mobile throughout an operational area. Therefore, the post holder will have a driving licence and access to a vehicle.
To read more about us please visit:
Entry to Work: https://www.workingforessex.com/working-here/entry-to-work
Why Essex? Essex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England’s oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest – Basildon and Harlow – are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career. Read more about us here.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found here pay and reward
To view our Organisational Behaviours information please follow this link.
What you should do next
If you are interested in finding out more about this role, we would love to hear from you. Please apply via the Working for Essex website.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription, and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
If you would like to be kept up to date on other relevant opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news at Essex County Council, please join The Essex Talent Community here .
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email firstname.lastname@example.org