Waste Team Leader
Permanent, Full Time
£26,617 to £27,690 per annum
Working Style: Community-based worker
Closing Date: 5th October 2022
Essex County Council (ECC) are delighted to be supporting Braintree Council to recruit this Waste Team Leader
To Apply – Click This Link - Waste Team Leader
The Waste Team Leader Opportunity:
We are looking for two Waste Service Team Leaders to join our Operations Team in Braintree.
The Team Leaders support the Assistant Waste & Street Cleansing Managers in delivering the daily waste collection services across the Braintree District. This includes the collection of domestic refuse, recycling, food waste and trade waste, plus the Waste Transfer Station. All duties undertaken in compliance with legislation, our Operator’s licence and environmental guidelines. Health & Safety and safe working practices are critical.
Team Leaders plan for resourcing the Waste collection routes taking account of the resources available, planning for staff annual leave, sickness and use of agency workers and utilise a Waste Management Software package to coordinate these activities. They deal with daily operational issues as they arise, so you must be solution focused, able to adapt to challenging situations and deal with changing priorities.
You will be responsible for day-to-day supervision of a large operational team, therefore the ability to support, motivate and develop individuals is essential, with evidence of previous people management experience skills.
It is essential applicants have a full LGV Class 2 Driving Licence and experience of day-to-day waste service operations delivery, legislation and resolution of waste service issues. Effective communication skills and IT skills are also required.
- To work with the Assistant Managers as directed to ensure the Council’s Waste Management Service is operated and maintained in compliance with statutory legislation and national and local policies and plans including health and safety, Operator’s Licence, Environment Agency permits, etc.
- On a daily basis work with the Assistant Managers to appropriately plan for resourcing the necessary Waste routes scheduled for the following working day. Take account of planned and pre-booked annual leave, unplanned sickness, and any other reasons for absence being taken by Drivers and Operatives.
- Work with the Assistant Managers to pre book and check leave requests made by Operatives and Drivers, prior to authorisation.
- Effectively utilise the Waste Management Software (currently ‘Echo’ but soon to be “Bartec”) to manage the daily allocated resources supplied to the routes, and make effective decisions based on operational issues that arise day to day. Examples include vehicle breakdowns, vehicle capacity, accident / incidents that may occur.
- Work in Partnership with the Agency nominated to supply replacement staff and keep them up to date with our resource demand for personnel. Work with them in respect of training new temporary workers to meet our changing demand for supply of agency staff.
- Take first line responsibility for the management and supervision of all Operatives and Drivers including performance management, team building, and the reinforcement of BDC Values and Behaviours.
- To be accountable for Health, Safety and Compliance across all front line services within the Waste Operations Department.
- Support, motivate and develop Operatives and Drivers on the front line to ensure a cohesive and integrated approach to the delivery of services.
- Maintain a strong performance culture of continuous improvement, ensuring a proactive approach to changing customer/service/legislation requirements.
- Positively contribute to improving the service, development and reputation of Waste Operations within Braintree District Council.
- As directed, work in partnership with other stakeholders on joint working initiatives to enhance service delivery and ensure effective use of resources.
- When the service demands dictate, be prepared to lead by example and take charge of delivering / driving the route with the relevant Operatives as a team.
- With support of the Assistant Waste Managers and the Waste & Street Cleansing Manager work as directed to provide a high quality customer focused set of services, ensuring they are responsive to change.
- Regularly review working practices and procedures to optimise the best use of resources.
- Contribute to the financial management of the Waste Services’ budgets including monitoring and accounting for expenditure.
- Contribute to the development and delivery of the Operations’ Business Plan.
- As directed, work with the Assistant Managers to carry out investigations involving staff conduct.
- Establish and maintain effective communications and foster good working relationships within the Team including industrial relations with Trade Union representatives.
- As directed, work with the Assistant Managers to act as the customer interface on all service related requests, enquiries and complaints, ensuring they are thoroughly investigated, corrective action taken and lessons learnt within the correct timescales.
- Coordinate and manage resources required for any works conducted outside normal working hours.
- Maximise opportunities for efficiencies as well as income generation including Bulky waste, trade waste and tipping away.
- As directed, work to develop Operatives and Loaders, ensuring that staff levels reflect the demands of the service and flexible / generic working arrangements.
- Assist with establishing and maintaining appropriate monitoring systems and provide accurate information to be able to measure these.
- Develop and support the District’s recycling infrastructure, maintaining and improving existing collections and supporting the introduction of new recycling initiatives.
- Work with the Waste Operations Manager and the Assistant Waste Managers to ensure consistent line management.
- Work with other Managers/Supervisors and Support Staff across Operations to ensure a seamless approach to service delivery.
- Ensure that all staff demonstrate a customer focused, professional attitude and represent the Council in an exemplary manner.
- Proactively respond to, resolve or escalate any operational issues in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Work with the Assistant Managers as directed, to help investigate and record road traffic accidents and health and safety incidents.
- Work in Partnership with the Transport Department including the Transport Manager, Fitters and Admin, to deliver the statutory waste collection services and ensure that the operational fleet is serviced, inspected and maintained in accordance with the road transport legislation and in compliance with the Council’s Operator’s Licence.
- Support the Assistant Managers with the stock, ordering and delivery of containers and sacks utilised as part of the Waste service.
Why choose Braintree District Council?
Braintree is an ambitious and dynamic Council and is becoming one of the fastest growing Districts in the East of England with three growing towns, London just 45 minutes away and the district located directly between the international transport centres of Stansted Airport and Harwich and Felixstowe International Ports. We have a deserved track record for delivering and a strong reputation within the business community.
Braintree District Council is a great place to work. We pride ourselves on our creative, innovative and forward thinking approach which is led by our staff. We are committed to having an engaged workforce who understand our strategy and how they can help deliver it.
Visit our website to read more about what our district offers residents, visitors, businesses and employees. You can also view our strategic investments and the innovative projects setting up home in our region.
Braintree District Council offers an excellent benefits package to all its employees which includes:
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Flexible working
- Free parking
- Local government pension scheme
- Learning and development for all staff
- Staff discount scheme
- Staff recognition schemes
- Extensive health and wellbeing programme including discounted gym membership
- Employee assistance programme
What should you do next?
If you are interested in finding out more about this role, we would love to hear from you. Please visit our Braintree District Council website or apply using the link below
To Apply – Click This Link - Waste Team Leader
Please Note – Essex County Council is advertising this role on behalf of Braintree District Council and if successful you will be employed by Braintree District Council