Urban Design Consultant (Various levels)
Permanent, Full Time
£37,312.00- £44,334.00 per annum (dependent on experience)
Closing Date: 23rd May 2021
Please note the salary is £37,312.00 for the Urban Design Consultant position and £44,334.00 for a Senior Urban Design Consultant position.
This role is currently remote working due to Covid but is usually office based. Post Covid we would expect a flexible working arrangement between our office in Chelmsford, our client’s offices throughout the South-East, and home working.
The post holder will advise on complex urban design matters, including development management and policy; master plans, design codes and briefs; design reviews, and context appraisals, and completing specialist tasks on multi-disciplinary projects. A key element of this role is to provide specialist input into the Essex Quality Review Panel.
· Accountable for the effective delivery of a range of built urban design services including: managing a demanding caseload of minor and major development management consultations at all stages of the planning/consent process (pre-application, application and post consent); preparing design briefs for sites of limited scope and complexity; carrying out design reviews on schemes of small to medium scale and complexity; developing Masterplans, design guides and codes for medium scale and complex schemes; including data capture, analysis and presentation; and completing specialists tasks as part of multi-disciplinary projects.
· Responsible for maintaining effective working relationships with internal and external clients and partners helping to ensure successful business outcomes, by, seeking feedback to identify opportunities for continuous improvement, and helping to maintain a client-focused culture across Place services
· Supporting the Essex Quality Review Panel, organising the panel members, applicants and drafting the responses.Responsible for enhancing the recognition and reputation of Place Services through promotional events and activities, and by building internal and external networks.
· Responsible for tendering for low-value opportunities; management of low-value projects and contracts, against approved budgets, specifications and indicators.
· Contributes to the review and development of legislation, plans, policy and standards, collecting, presenting and preserving evidence including case work documents (including for planning appeals and enforcement) to recognised standards, reviewing outcomes, and assessing third party compliance.
· Contributes to the execution of ECC and client’s responsibilities and duties of care in relation to the public realm and the wider built environment.
· Contributes to implementing opportunities to improve effectiveness and efficiency of technical service delivery.
· Contributes to increasing the skills base across the environmental and planning sectors through development and delivery of straight forward training activities and events and preparation of learning materials.
The senior post is also expected to be:
· Responsible for managing the Essex Quality Review Panel, providing specialist insight, organisation and promotion of the panel.
· Responsible for Identification of new business opportunities, seeking sales and client accounts by tendering on moderate to high-value opportunities, and enhancing the recognition and reputation of Place Services through networking and promotional activities.
· Responsible for Achieving joined up, integrated and effective team working, including management of low-medium value projects, and contracts against approved budgets, specifications and indicators.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
· Educated to RQF level 6 (Bachelor’s degree) in a relevant subject, and evidence of post qualification experience.
· Good evidence of continuing professional development with Membership of, or working towards Membership of, relevant professional body e.g. Recognised Practitioner of the Urban Design Group.
· Capable technical and subject matter expert, with knowledge and experience of: development management processes; planning policy, legislation, and enforcement standards and guidance; development briefs and design reviews, Masterplans, design guides and codes, and related office and site-based practices and procedures, including graphic presentation.
· Able to work confidently and consistently without supervision across a range of activities, and as part of a multi-disciplinary team, using a range of tools to effectively manage simple projects from concept through to completion.
· Demonstrable awareness of wellbeing and H&S, experienced producing and implementing standard risk assessments, and able to identify and implement safe working practices for self and others.
· Able to communicate and negotiate confidently and clearly, including the independent preparation of written technical advice, and at public consultations.
· Able to engage, influence and inform contractors, volunteers, clients and their customers, maintaining effective client relationships with demonstrable understanding of client needs and drivers, and good public interface skills.
· Ability to confidently use a range of common and bespoke software packages, including all Microsoft applications, and other information technology tools, e.g. AutoCAD, GIS, and/or design software such as Photoshop Adobe Creative Suite and Sketchup, to collect and present a range of evidence and data, and to independently carry out straightforward analyse and interpretation, with ability to interpret and analyse more complex data under supervision.
The senior post also requires:
· Accomplished technical and subject matter expert, with detailed knowledge and significant experience of: development management processes; of planning policy, legislation, and enforcement standards and guidance; development briefs and design review, Masterplans, design guides and codes, and related office and site-based practices and procedures, including graphic presentation.
· Able to manage accounts, and to build and maintain client relationships, negotiating confidently, and communicating clearly and effectively, using a range of techniques and communication strategies to influence, inform and persuade clients, contractor’s, and stakeholders including the public. Has a strong understanding of client needs and drivers and strong client interface skills.
· Demonstrable awareness of commercial practices, and experience of bid winning, and able to work effectively as specialist lead within a multi-disciplinary team, and to effectively manage moderate to large scale projects from concept through to completion.
· Strong people skills with experience coaching and mentoring specialists and developing and delivering training.
As part of employment with Essex County Council should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. For more information please use the following link: https://www.workingforessex.com/working-here/pay-reward/ Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment. We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success. If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email email@example.com or call us on 0333 013 5888 Lines are open Monday to Friday between 08:30 - 16:30.