Sustainability Officer - Waste Minimisation
Permanent, Full Time
£30,405 - £33,825 per annum
Closing Date: 12th July 2022
Closing date: Midnight on Tuesday 12th July 2022
Essex County Council (ECC) are delighted to be supporting Braintree Council to recruit this Sustainability Officer – Waste Minimisation role.
Are you passionate about the environment and recycling and have experience of working in a waste or recycling role together with strong report writing skills and an educational background in environmental sciences?
This Sustainability Officer is an exciting and genuine opportunity to help tackle climate change and maximise opportunities in the circular economy.
This role will support Braintree District Council’s goal to achieve it’s goal of becoming carbon neutral as a Council by 2030, as well as supporting communities to reduce the impacts of climate change across the Braintree District.
The Sustainability Officer will manage a small team providing a high standard of operational, administrative and technical support relating to recycling, climate change and waste management across the District.
- Develop policies/guidelines to support the delivery of the Waste Management and Climate Change Strategies.
- Contribute to the delivery of the Council’s Waste and Climate Management Strategies and Action Plans.
- Work with all Council stakeholders to help build a sense of shared commitment to our Climate & Waste Management Strategies and Action Plans.
- Represent the Council at the Essex Recycling Forum and update Operations Senior Management Team on topical issues/initiatives.
- Manage the team of Waste Minimisation and Recycling Administrator and Waste Minimisation and Sustainability Advisor.
- Design and deliver educational sessions to schools and community groups to increase awareness of the impact of climate change, waste minimisation and recycling.
- Plan events and activities throughout the year, in line with national and international initiatives, for example; Global Climate Change Week, Recycling Week, Earth Day, World Environment Day, No Mow May, Compost Awareness Week, National Refill Day.
- Lead in the introduction of recycling initiatives, new waste minimisation and the circular economy.
- Provide promotional and educational communications to encourage a high level of waste minimisation in the Council’s waste collection services to help meet Council objectives.
- HNC/HND in Environmental sciences or relevant experience
- A background in waste management or recycling
- Experience of managing a team
- Report writing experience and experience of researching, analysing, interpreting and presenting data
- A good understanding of Waste Minimisation with a proven record of implementing plans to achieve reductions in domestic and commercial waste.
- An awareness of the challenges and barriers to recycling
- Experience in producing, implementing and embedding policies and strategies linked to sustainability and carbon reduction.
- Experience in implementing Waste Minimisation, environmental and climate change projects/initiatives.
- A good knowledge of climate change and environmental planning policy matters including how to deliver carbon emission reductions and monitor progress.
- You will be able to influence and inspire climate action and results
- Good Project Management skills
- You must have proven customer service experience and be able to persuade residents to change behaviours in order to minimise their waste and to prevent associated environmental problems,
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills including the delivery of PowerPoint presentations to a range of audiences from school children to senior management.
- Strong administration skills and IT skills
The role will require you to be flexible with your hours which could occasionally start at 6.30am when liaising with the refuse and recycling crews. Occasional evening and weekend working may also be required in this role in order to attend evening meetings/talks and weekend events.
Braintree is an ambitious and dynamic Council and is becoming one of the fastest growing Districts in the East of England with three growing towns, London just 45 minutes away and the district located directly between the international transport centres of Stansted Airport and Harwich and Felixstowe International Ports. We have a deserved track record for delivering and a strong reputation within the business community.
Braintree District Council is a great place to work. We pride ourselves on our creative, innovative and forward thinking approach which is led by our staff. We are committed to having an engaged workforce who understand our strategy and how they can help deliver it.
Visit our website to read more about what our district offers residents, visitors, businesses and employees. You can also view our strategic investments and the innovative projects setting up home in our region.
Braintree District Council offers an excellent benefits package to all its employees which includes:
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Flexible working
- Free parking
- Local government pension scheme
- Learning and development for all staff
- Staff discount scheme
- Staff recognition schemes
- Extensive health and wellbeing programme including discounted gym membership
- Employee assistance programme
What should you do next?
If you are interested in finding out more about this role, we would love to hear from you. Please visit our Braintree District Council website or apply using the link below
Please Note – Essex County Council is advertising this role on behalf of Braintree District Council and if successful you will be employed by Braintree District Council
If you have any queries regarding submitting an application or require anything further, please email email@example.com