Senior Wellbeing and Public Health Officer
Permanent, Full Time
Up to £35,920 per annum
Closing Date: 21st August 2022
Line Managed by a Head of Wellbeing and Public Health and task reporting to the senior managers of Wellbeing, Public Health and Communities, this role plays a very important part within Economy, Infrastructure and Public Health (EIPH) and wider Essex County Council structures to the Council’s aspiration to become an outcome focused and evidence-based commissioning authority.
The postholder will be collectively and individually accountable for the delivery of professional and expert support to the defined Wellbeing and Public Health work programme and community development of the of the wider function working together, forming and supporting relationships both across the wider organisation and with partner agencies to deliver a new, more flexible and collaborative approach.
Whilst the postholder will support and may lead on a range of projects and activities we are particularly looking to recruit an individual with a background and/or understanding of the Children and Young People’s elements of the agenda.
This is a complex role, working to support a number of specific agendas and to support Senior Managers within Wellbeing Public Health and Communities on any number and combination of thematic programmes and projects which will change dependent on strategic priorities.
Key interfaces include a range of partners: for example 12 District, Borough and City Council’s in Essex, NHS functions locally and Internal Essex County Council Boards as per governance structure (Commissioning Boards, Health and Wellbeing board etc.) in delivering significant programmes of commissioning work and associated projects.
The role will deliver using matrix management principles, ensuring programmes of work are sustainable and configured to meet ECC’s expressed aspirations.
The role will be responsible for leading programmes of work (with and on behalf of senior managers and Consultants in PH) such as:
• Children and Young People
• Smoking Cessation
• Sexual Health
• Substance Misuse
• NHS Health Checks
• Obesity and weight management
• Public Mental Health
· Understand the needs of the wider team and deliver the best possible outcomes through exemplar behaviour in accordance with ECC’s Values and Core Organisational Behaviours.
· Work flexibly and collaboratively across structural boundaries in support of key outcomes.
· To contribute to development of organisational capability by taking ownership of your own training and development, including identifying and taking part in training and development activity and responding to feedback on performance.
· Thinking creatively, challenging the norms, and constructively challenging those around them (including those more senior) to ensure continuous improvement and commercial astuteness, and inspire the same in colleagues.
· Take responsibility for identifying and actioning areas of risk including Health and Safety and Business Continuity.
· Work as part of project or process teams as required under the new operating model, ensuring excellent cross functional output.
Role specific accountabilities
· Work as part of the Wellbeing, Public Health and Communities Team supporting a flexible and agile approach to resourcing.
· Work with a range of senior managers in Wellbeing, Public Health and Communities and, where necessary, from across ECC and with partners and stakeholders, to define requirements and deliver activity ensuring best VFM, and sustainable outcomes.
· Provide day-to-day support as part of a matrix managed team for specific pieces of activity– both planned and reactive; for example writing reports or business cases or co-ordinating activities that deliver specific project documentation.
· Provide subject matter expert advice and guidance as required for thematic programmes and projects which will change dependent on strategic priorities.
· Support senior managers to ensure that prioritised activities can be planned, specified and met in terms of capacity and capability and delivered to a high standard.
· Build relationships and work in collaboration (for example with, but not limited to, CCGs and District/Borough/City Councils) not only to deliver levels of integrated activity, but also to identify any further opportunities and efficiencies across organisations.
· Deliver specific projects and activities that further the continuous improvement of high performing, sustainable and cost effective services or place shaping activities and develop cross functional links.
· Support the development of, and use, a range of tools and techniques that ensure activity is consistent, effective and efficient and that an audit trail is maintained.
· Respond quickly to new challenges and opportunities ensuring that risks and opportunities are identified and managed and comply with all external and internal regulation: support responses to calls for contributions to consultation responses.
· Performance monitoring and reviewing services as appropriate.
· Any other duties commensurate with the grade of the post
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
· Subject Matter Expert (SME) in a Public Health or related activity service/function area, and programme/project management expertise, in support of senior managers
· Experience of managing or delivering commissioning activities or projects
· Knowledge and experience of all aspects of the commissioning cycle, project life-cycle and related activities gained within a commissioning environment.
· Educated to degree level or equivalent by experience, with excellent oral and written communication skills
· Evidence of continuing personal development.
· Evidence of successfully delivering outcomes
· Experience of delivery of public services and managing change in a complex , multi-stakeholder environment.
· Experience of working in a political environment, skills in understanding and responding to different perspectives and taking a cross organisational perspective, and working effectively with members and senior officers from across the council and partner agencies.
To read more about us please visit: https://www.workingforessex.com/role/place-public-health/
Why Essex? Essex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England’s oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest – Basildon and Harlow – are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career. Read more about us here.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found here pay and reward
To view our Organisational Behaviours information please follow this link.
As part of employment with ECC should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
What you should do next
If you are interested in finding out more about this role, we would love to hear from you. Please apply via the Working for Essex website.
If you would like to be kept up to date on other relevant opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news at Essex County Council, please join The Essex Talent Community here .
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email firstname.lastname@example.org