Senior Strategy Adviser
Fixed Term, Full Time
Up to £49,343 per annum
Working Style: Anywhere worker
Closing Date: 7th July 2022
Please note this is a fixed term contract for 12 months.
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 1.5 million residents in the historic and beautiful county of Essex. ECC has an ambitious agenda for our place reflected in our strategy Everyone’s Essex, the Essex Levelling Up White Paper and the work of the Essex Climate Action Commission. As a senior strategy adviser in Essex, you will work in the Council’s Policy Unit, working closely with the Leader and Deputy Leader of the Council, the Chief Executive and other senior politicians and officers. The remit of the Policy Unit covers a range of exciting policy issues of national as well as local importance, including climate action, economic growth, public health and skills and education. The Policy Unit is particularly focused at the moment on delivering our programme for levelling up Essex and exploring options for a devolution deal for Greater Essex – in line with the Government’s recent Levelling Up White Paper and the Levelling Up and Regeneration Bill.
You will work in particular on policy analysis and development around levelling up and devolution. But senior strategy advisers in the Policy Unit can work on any area of the Council’s business to support the overall policy agenda. You will be required to develop policy proposals that align with the overall strategic ambitions in Everyone’s Essex; that are based on robust evidence and insight; and that can be translated into delivery with demonstrable impact in improving outcomes for our residents and businesses.
You will have a background in policy or strategy and an interest in at least some of the policy issues facing a county council. You will be able to develop effective strategies that are evidence based and that translate into effective delivery across the organisation. You will be comfortable working in a politically led organisation and able to engage effectively with politicians and senior officers. You will be a team player able to build relationships across the organisation and externally. You will be motivated, proactive and able to deliver high quality work at pace.
- Policy analysis and development, in particular in relation to levelling up and devolution
- Effective management of relationships with politicians and senior officers across the Council and with partners
- Ensuring that policy development is in line with our overall strategic ambitions and has demonstrable delivery impact
- Ensuring that policy development is based on solid evidence and insight and draws on learning and best practice from across the sector, nationally and internationally
The Experience You Will Bring
- Experience of policy or strategy development and interest in some relevant policy issues.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with an ability to present complex material clearly and concisely.
- Strong organisational skills to ensure effective management of business and of high-level boards
- Potential to develop high influencing and negotiating skills and the capacity to build effective relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Strong inter-personal skills and the ability to effectively liaise with politicians and other senior leaders with the ability to influence relevant outcomes.
- Ability to deliver high quality outcomes at pace.
- Ability to connect strategy development with delivery in a way that is operationally literate.
Desirable but not essential
- Knowledge of local government
- Knowledge and experience in relevant core policy areas such as economic development, environment, health and wellbeing, children’s, families and education.
- Please note that this is a politically restricted role.
To read more about us please visit Chief Executives Office: https://www.workingforessex.com/role/chief-executives-office
Why Essex? Essex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England’s oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest – Basildon and Harlow – are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career. Read more about us here.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found here pay and reward
To view our Organisational Behaviours information please follow this link.
What you should do next
If you are interested in finding out more about this role, we would love to hear from you. Please apply via the Working for Essex website.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription, and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
If you would like to be kept up to date on other relevant opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news at Essex County Council, please join The Essex Talent Community here.
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email email@example.com