Senior Lawyer - Corporate
Permanent, Full Time - 36.25 hours per week
£47,471 to £50,747 per annum inclusive of fringe allowance
Essex County Council (ECC) are delighted to be supporting Basildon Council to recruit a Senior Lawyer (Corporate)
(All posts are subject to the NJC conditions of service)
This post offers a Golden Hello package of £5000 that is subject to terms and conditions.
We are happy to consider full time and part time applications.
We want to do things differently here in Basildon. We are creating a place where our people prosper.
As the largest economy in the Thames Estuary outside London, we are incredibly proud of what we have achieved but we are never complacent. We are driving inclusive, sustainable growth to provide opportunity and prosperity for local people and businesses, access to quality homes, vibrant town centres and an enhanced local environment.
We are looking to recruit an experienced Senior Lawyer to support our dynamic Corporate Legal team, to help us deliver the Council’s objectives and ensure the highest standards in conducting business This is an exciting and varied role in a supportive and friendly team, reporting to the Principal Lawyer.. We have a culture of support, collaboration and a ‘can do’ approach to delivering the Council’s objectives. We aim to find solutions whilst ensuring the highest professional standards and delivering value for money.
You would deal with all aspects of local authority litigation involving a Borough Council as well as providing legal advice on local authority related matters.
What do you need to succeed:
- Qualified Solicitor of England and Wales, Barrister, CILEX or equivalent
- Previous experience within a local authority/ public sector setting is beneficial
- Capacity to deal with complex litigation from start to finish as well as providing all necessary legal advice
- Ability to present to varying audiences
- Experience of working to legal quality standards and using document management system. Considerable post-qualification experience of at least two of the following areas: Prosecutions, Civil Litigation, Housing including Disrepair, Planning enforcement, Employment and Governance
What’s in it for you?
- 28 days annual leave pro rata for part time (rising to 32 after 5 years’ service)
- Hybrid working (the role can be undertaken largely remotely)
- Fully flexible working options
- Local government pension
- Funded training opportunities
- Employee discount programme
- Top specification ICT equipment
For an informal discussion about this post please contact Paula Deery, Head of Legal & Democracy on 01268 208167 or Lyndsey Smith, Principal Lawyer and Manager of the Corporate Legal Team on 01268 207804.
Note: ECC are advertising this role on behalf of Basildon Council and if successful you will be employed by Basildon Council
Basildon Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults, and expects all employees, contractors and volunteers to share its commitment to prevent abuse, harm or exploitation.
The Council applies a robust recruitment vetting process. If you are successful, you will need to undergo a Pre-employment Vetting Procedure.
If you have any queries regarding this or any of our roles, please contact Human Resources 01268 208 242 or firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to see a full job description for this position, please email email@example.com quoting reference 3216