Senior Key Worker
Permanent, Full Time
£22,780 to £26,801 per annum
Closing Date: 05/12/2021
This position will initially be based from home rather than an office for any administrational duties and face to face for centre based and detached/mobile Youth Work sessions across the South of Essex.
Mobile and flexible working requirements; Must be available for evenings and weekends, working up to 6 evenings per fortnight. Working week will be subject to change.
A quadrant based Senior Key worker role responsible for the statutory assessment of Young Carers, to implement support for Young Carers (aged 0-18) and young adult carers (16 – 24) and their families, through a tiered key worker approach to level of need, and to provide individualised support in relation to their caring role, raising achievement and aspirations and to allow each Young Carer to have the same life chances as their peers. To line manage and direct the workload of quadrant based Key Worker – Young Carers.
- Work with Essex young carers and their families to identify priorities, support needs, interventions and goals, developing and implementing strategies for achieving these. Using assessment and monitoring with young carers and their families to achieve a shared and mutually agreed support plan.
- To work with young carers and other agencies to develop and coordinate the delivery of a whole family support plan, agreeing the support to be provided, the co-ordination of this support and time limited objectives for the family, reviewing progress and restating goals where appropriate.
- To take up referrals and work with Essex young carers in order to identify, assess, understand and meet their needs, and to allocate Senior Key Worker or Key Worker support within the remit of the support required and to manage the workload of Key Worker Support resource within each quadrant.
- To line manage, supervise and monitor the workload of Young Carer Key Workers within the relevant quadrant.
- To facilitate through youth work approaches the learning and development for Essex young carers to enhance their future development or meet identified needs, such as provision of specific training opportunities, focussed peer group support and/or targeted support workshops.
- To promote young carers self-awareness, confidence and participation, encouraging their involvement in the design of their young carers service and supporting them in evaluating the impact of the service upon their own situation.
- To ensure that Essex County Council policies, procedures and practice for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people are implemented effectively.
- To work flexibly and deliver services as directed.
Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
What you will need:
- A relevant professional qualification which is focussed on working with young people (e.g. LDSS, Social work, Youth and Community, Teacher, Careers) or equivalent or demonstrably equivalent experience
- A broad understanding of the issues affecting young carers and young people, opportunities for learning and the services provided by the partner organisations
- Experience of working with young people on a one to one basis and in groups
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience in effectively working collaboratively with other agencies at a local level
- Experience of successfully involving young people and families in decision-making processes
- Be flexible in their approach and have excellent time management skills and ability to work evening, weekend and residential work in order to respond to young people’s needs
- The job role requires you to be mobile throughout an operational area. Depending on the geographical area, access to a vehicle or another efficient mode of transport will be required
- Excellent level of numeracy, literacy (GCSE A – C or equivalent or demonstrable experience) and ICT
As part of employment with Essex County Council should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. For more information please use the following link: https://www.workingforessex.com/working-here/pay-reward/
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people, as diversity is key to our success. If you’d like to find out more about our latest opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news click here to join our talent pool.
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.