SEND Supported Learning Tutor
Permanent, Full Time
Up to £27,338 per annum
Working Style: Anywhere worker
Closing Date: 9th October 2022
Adult Community Learning (ACL) is ECC’s provider of lifelong learning experiences for Essex residents.
Our classroom and work-based tutors design, plan, deliver and evaluate learning opportunities and experiences to challenge and enable learners from diverse backgrounds to achieve their individual goals and aspirations.
In the role of SEND Supported Learning Tutor you will be teaching learners with learning disabilities and/or Autism. You will need experience of working in a SEND setting and ideally an interest or specialism in creative subjects and/or life skills.
This role involves working at our Harlow ACL centre and possible outreach in surrounding areas including Saffron Walden.
ACL offers qualifications to help people move nearer to, enter or progress within the workplace or gain skills to enhance life chances. The service focuses many of its programmes and activities on the hardest to reach communities within Essex. ACL learners have access to a diverse range of non-accredited courses which encourage creativity, healthy lifestyles, social inclusion and engagement.
Prepare and deliver guided learning...
· Produce appropriate schemes of work/lesson plans
· Promote the effective use of individual learning plans
· Teach classes; provide tutorials and other supervised learning as appropriate, produce resources.
· Promote and use technology to improve outcomes for students
· Support the development of Maths and English
· Review individual progress and revise course planning accordingly
· Meet minimum standards for retention and success.
Provide effective negotiated learning experiences which enable students to meet their goals within an inclusive environment that supports all individuals. Challenge thinking, foster debate and develop the ability of learners to engage in critical discourse and rational thinking.
Provide general advice and information with reference to pre-course information and initial assessment - including course entry criteria, student induction, progression opportunities and employability options, assessment and examination procedure.
Provide constructive feedback...
· Set, mark, correct and assess individual students’ work in a timely way against comprehensive learning objectives
· Review and evaluate lessons and courses
· Maintain and effectively use Individual Learning Plans with students to facilitate the students' evaluation of progress and understanding of what is required to improve
· Offer information, support and guidance regarding progression routes within and outside the organisation.
Attend meetings as required (curriculum, pre-course, supervision, etc.).
As required, conduct learner assessments in line with funding requirements and learner capabilities.
Assess, monitor and record learners' progress – using Individual and group learning plans and record achievement.
Undertake mandatory Continuing Professional Development including regular graded and ungraded observations of Learning, Teaching and Assessment. Participate actively in any individual improvement plan and achievement of performance targets.
Responsible for ensuring accurate and up to date record keeping, including registers, Individual Learning Plan/Record and other key information (relating to: retention, achievement and completion), monitoring and managing absence and facilitate on going and end of course evaluation.
· Curriculum development and research
· Course promotion
· The Self-Assessment process
· The resolution of complaints
· Actively promote the Prevent Agenda, ECC & British values, Equality and Fairness in all work areas and activities.
Comply with and/or operate within ACL Quality standards and other requirements, Health and Safety procedures, Safeguarding requirements, Data protection and Informational Governance (General Data Protection Regulations).
Internal Quality Assurance accountabilities...
· Apply internal quality assurance methodologies in order that teaching, learning and assessment procedures are followed in line with awarding organisation requirements
· Ensure assessors are familiar with and can carry out the specific assessment and follow the recording and internal audit procedures in order to meet awarding organisation requirements
· Implement robust assessment standardisation processes and identify consistent outcomes needed against agreed standards, including ensuring an effective procedure for complaints and appeals is in place.
· Ensure a procedure for complaints and appeals is in place
· Make recommendations to improve standards of vocational tutors, monitoring the quality of their performance including effective working relationships with learners, assessment reviews and quality of feedback as well as improving internal quality assurance arrangements, developing plans to put these improvements into practice
· To act as End Point Assessors for the Essex Provider Network
Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
· Educated to RQF level 3 (GCSE A-C) in Maths and English. A relevant qualification or willingness to achieve the same
· A commitment to continuing personal development, and professional and subject specialist updating.
· Evidence of subject expertise as appropriate to the level of course to be taught.
· Experience of working within a SEND environment.
· Wider subject knowledge to support student progression.
· Knowledge of technology in the context of supporting learning. Competent in the use of technology to facilitate learning and data reporting
· Ability to build strong and collaborative working relationships inside and outside the learning environment.
· Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
As part of employment with Essex County Council should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. For more information please use the following link: https://www.workingforessex.com/working-here/pay-reward/
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.