Recycling Centre Site Operative - north & mid Essex
Part Time/Full Time, to be discussed at interview
£11.33 per hour, plus local recycling incentive bonus benefits
Working Style: Operational field-based worker
Working as part of a team and under the instruction of the site supervisor, the Recycling Centre for Household Waste (RCHW) Site Operative will contribute towards safe and efficient site operations ensuring the site is clean, tidy and free from risk or accidents and incidents. They will assist members of the public in a friendly and professional manner, providing information and direction as needed.
Assist with all aspects of site operations ensuring that adequate and safe information is given to the sub-contractors / hauliers for the loads to be consigned and that the correct instructions are issued, helping to ensure that all traffic / waste movements and Safe Systems of work are strictly adhered to at all times.
Assist with the:
- Completion of routine tasks on a daily/weekly basis as defined by the site supervisor and Line Manager, including ensuring the site is clean, safe, and tidy and that equipment is inspected, and supplies are kept clean and in good working order
- Assist with the supervision and preparation for the safe movement of waste containers while ensuring the safety of the public
- Help with the administrative tasks within the waste management processes, paperwork, compliance processes, quality assurance and other related documentation using Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Responsible for ensuring daily inspections are carried out to the required standard and are recorded appropriately in accordance with the Environmental Permit and Operating Procedures and ensure all defects are recorded and reported to the appropriate person; report any accidents/incidents and potential hazards that occur on site
- To carry out any other duties commensurate with the post as required to meet the needs of the service.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
Qualifications/Training – Desirable minimum GCSE (or equivalent by experience) in English and Maths or NVQ level 2. Full driving licence with 2 years’ experience. IOSH Working Safely or equivalent safety accreditation is desirable.
Knowledge – Interest in recycling and the environment. Knowledge of correct manual handling is desirable. Computer literate (especially Microsoft Excel and Outlook)
Experience – Experience of working within the waste industry and a forward-facing customer environment
Skills – Good interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with the public, and remain calm in challenging situations. Ability to work without supervision as well as part of a team, good administration skills.
Character – Punctual and hardworking. Able to stay calm in difficult situations. Willingness to adapt and develop skill sets and knowledge as determined by the post. General good health, able to work on foot for lengthy periods of time
Availability/Locality/Mobility – Able to start early morning shifts. Ability to respond to out of hours operational and customer emergencies, on rare or infrequent occasions.
To read more about us please visit https://www.workingforessex.com/role/place-public-health/
Why Essex? Essex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England’s oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest – Basildon and Harlow – are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career. Read more about us here.
What you should do next
If you are interested in finding out more about this role, we would love to hear from you. Please apply via the Working for Essex website.
Please note that Essex County Council has determined that the off-payroll working rules will apply to this assignment and where a worker elects to provide their services through an intermediary (such as a personal services company) then income tax and primary national insurance contributions will be deducted at source from any payments made to the intermediary.
If you would like to be kept up to date on other relevant opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news at Essex County Council, please join The Essex Talent Community here.
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email email@example.com