Ranger - Thorndon Country Park
Permanent, Full Time
Up to £24,303 per annum
Working Style: Operational field-based worker
Essex is a diverse county with some of the highest levels of deprivation in the country through to highly affluent communities, which gives us a wide variance in life expectancy and quality. Culture and Green Spaces will deliver exceptional customer experiences, demonstrating the benefit of Essex’s strategic location, with the objective of developing a financially sustainable operation.
The Ranger is responsible for undertaking duties to effectively manage the green spaces across Essex, including habitat management, to enhance nature conservation across the landscape and horticultural value, in line with the requirement to achieve a high quality of land management. In addition, ensuring that the sites are a safe and well-presented environment for the visiting public. Rangers deliver all customer service elements which would include activities, events, community involvement and special interest groups
- Responsible for aspects of the day to day operation of the site and its facilities, ensuring the site is well presented and maintained at all times, good repair regimes and clear work programmes are followed.
- Contribute to the management of the land to enhance its nature conservation, habitat and landscape management, historic features and structures for recreational and amenity value. Achieving a high quality of land management to support the site’s management plan and contribute to mainlining the Green Flag status across all sites.
- Contribute to creating a safe environment for visitors by conducting regular checks of the country parks and to ensure it is a clean and safe environment for all visitors and users.
- Contribute to ensuring country parks meet all legislative requirements including all byelaws, health and safety and other relevant legislation, carrying out regular Health and Safety checks and completing all relevant paperwork/reports in line with the park’s procedures
- Work flexibly across all country parks to ensure targets are met across the whole service area.
- Engage with customers to consider and improve the visitor’s experience; dealing with issues and problems involving visitors that occur within a country park.
- Undertake and participate in a range of projects to contribute to the effectiveness of activities and share knowledge and expertise on all country park activities.
- Responsibility for the management of volunteers and work experience placements to ensure they are fully supported in their daily tasks.
- Liaise across the Council, such as education and events to help support programmes across the service.
- Support the requirement to build and maintain effective relationships with neighbours, stakeholders and partners by liaising with other landowners and community groups.
The Experience You Will Bring
- Significant land management experience of working across diverse habitat types.
- Ideally trained in the use of machinery and equipment such as tractors, chainsaw and brush cutters.
- Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant professional area.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to demonstrate good customer service.
- Evidence of delivering excellent customer service across a wide range of people.
- Understanding and experience of ecological/habitat management and the Country Parks ethos and commitment to promoting enjoyment of the countryside.
- Evidence of working within a team to achieve joint objectives.
- Experience of planning and managing resources, including staff and services, arranging for purchases as required, in line with procedures and maintaining records.
To read more about us please visit: https://www.workingforessex.com/role/place-public-health/
Please note that the job role requires you to be mobile throughout an operational area. Therefore, the post holder will need to have a driving licence and access to a vehicle, or the ability to meet the mobility requirements of the role through other means.
Essex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England’s oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest – Basildon and Harlow – are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career. Read more about us here.
Essex County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Leader. We’re committed to interview all disabled applicants who choose to apply under our Job Interview Scheme if they meet the minimum requirements of the job. Please speak to our Recruiters if you require any reasonable adjustments during the process.
We’re also committed to interview all veterans and care leavers, who meet the minimum requirements of the role for which they are applying.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found here pay and reward
To view our Organisational Behaviours information please follow this link.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription, and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
If you would like to be kept up to date on other relevant opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news at Essex County Council, please join The Essex Talent Community here .
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email email@example.com