Permanent, Full Time
£19,631 to £23,096 per annum
Closing Date: 30/09/2021
Essex is a diverse county with some of the highest levels of deprivation in the country through to highly affluent communities, which gives us a wide variance in life expectancy and quality. Culture and Green Spaces will deliver exceptional customer experiences, demonstrating the benefit of Essex’s strategic location, with the objective of developing a financially sustainable operation.
The Ranger is responsible for undertaking duties to effectively manage the green spaces across Essex, to enhance conservation across the landscape and horticultural value in line with the requirement to achieve a high quality of land management. In addition, ensuring that the sites are a safe and well-presented environment for the visiting public. Rangers deliver all customer service elements which would include activities, events, community involvement and special interest groups.
37 hours per week, mainly Mon-Friday but can include weekend work.
- Support the requirement to build and maintain effective relationships with neighbours, stakeholders and partners by liaising with other landowners and community groups.
- Undertake and participate in a range of projects to contribute to the effectiveness of activities and share knowledge and expertise on all country park activities.
- Contribute to creating a safe environment for visitors by conducting regular checks of the country parks and to ensure it is a clean and safe environment for all visitors and users.
- Responsible for aspects of the day to day operation of the site and its facilities, ensuring the site is well presented and maintained at all times, good repair regimes and clear work programmes are followed.
- Contribute to the management of the land to enhance its nature conversation, habitat and landscape management, historic features and structures, for recreational and amenity value to achieve a high quality of land management to support the sites management plan and contribute to maintaining the Greenflag status across all sites.
- Contribute to ensuring country parks meet all legislative requirements including all byelaws, health and safety and other relevant legislation, carrying out regular Health and Safety checks and completing all relevant paperwork/reports in line with the parks procedures
- Responsibility for the management of casual staff, volunteers and work experience placements to ensure they are fully supported in their daily tasks.
- Engage with customers to consider and improve the visitor’s experience; dealing with issues and problems involving visitors that occur within a country park.
- Liaise across the Council, such as education and events to help build and run programmes across the service.
- Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Educated to degree level in countryside management or equivalent by experience in country park management.
- Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant professional area.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to demonstrate good customer service.
- Evidence of delivering excellent customer service across a wide range of people.
- Understanding and experience of ecological/habitat management and the Country Parks ethos and commitment to promoting enjoyment of the countryside.
- Evidence of working within a team to achieve joint objectives.
- Experience of planning and managing resources, including staff and services, arranging for purchases as required, in line with procedures and maintaining records.
- Experience of maximising income generation within a country park setting.
As part of employment with Essex County Council should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. For more information please use the following link: https://www.workingforessex.com/working-here/pay-reward/
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people, as diversity is key to our success. If you’d like to find out more about our latest opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news click here to join our talent pool.
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email email@example.com or call us on 0333 013 5888. Lines are open Monday to Friday between 08:30 - 16:30.