Project Manager - Waste Management
Fixed Term, 24 months
Full Time, 37 hours per week
Up to £47,389 per annum
Essex County Council requires a Project Manager to support the Head of Strategy in the development and adoption of a future waste management vision for Essex.
This is an exciting opportunity to take a lead role in the development of our waste strategy and play a key part in delivering new projects and activities that support the Council’s circular economy and climate action ambitions.
To secure this role, you will ideally have project delivery and strategy development experience in the waste management sector and experience of collaborative working within a diverse partnership. If you don’t have this experience, then interested candidates will be expected to have demonstrable experience of having worked in a range of sectors delivering time critical programmes of work with multiple partners; and with an ability to learn quickly.
The activities delivered will be critical in enabling Essex to achieve its statutory obligations and deliver high quality services while contributing to the Council’s strategic aims.
The successful candidate will be required to work collaboratively with a range of teams, partners and external providers to develop programmes of work, establish appropriate project governance, monitor progress and manage risks to ensure the business can accommodate the change.
An experienced project manager with the ability to manage a complex and diverse project with multiple activities and touchpoints – this role will help shape the future of waste in Essex to deliver a circular economy.
Accountabilities (including but not limited to):
- Responsible for managing a project, which contributes to ECC’s strategic aims, to deliver agreed outcomes within time and cost constraints.
- Responsible for undertaking day to day management of both the project and the project team.
- Responsible for ensuring a robust business case has been agreed ensuring expertise and specialist knowledge has contributed to the development of the business case in order to align project deliverables to the organisation’s expectations.
- Responsible for developing and monitoring the project progress to ensure this stays within the agreed budget. Set out resource requirements in order to be prioritised by the Portfolio/Programme Manager.
- Responsible for managing, leading and motivating a team and ensuring current capability is matched against project requirements. This incorporates support and coaching for individuals and the team, as appropriate, in order to develop a high performing team.
- Responsible for ensuring agreement with customers of quantified benefits to be realised & metrics required to monitor impact. Designing and actively managing the project plan to ensure the outcomes are achieved.
- Responsible for highlighting project risks and issues and ways in which these can be mitigated and escalated as appropriate.
- Responsible for ensuring effective Change Management processes are in place and changes to deliverables as agreed with stakeholders are documented.
- Responsible for ensuring an effective governance and assurance framework is in place to support decision making and ensure regular reporting on progress through pro-active engagement with project sponsors. Work collaboratively with and manage internal stakeholder relationships together with external partners.
- Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Educated to degree level or equivalent by extensive experience.
- Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant professional area, such as, AMP practitioner or Prince 2.
- Evidence of having successfully completed several projects and experienced contributing to a range of other projects and/or programmes.
- Experience of working with a diverse range of individuals at different levels within a complex organisation and engaging with them, finding ways to overcome obstacles.
- Experience of working within a political environment with knowledge of a public sector setting and involvement in a large, complex environment.
- Good management skills in leading and managing a team and evidence of developing others.
Apply and next steps
Please apply via the Working for Essex website, ensuring you upload an up to date CV and supporting statement when prompted.
As part of employment with Essex County Council should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. For more information please use the following link: https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits/
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please email email@example.com or call us on 0333 013 5888. Lines are open Monday to Friday 08:30 - 16.30.