Principal Planning Officer – Economic Growth
Permanent, Full Time
Up to £49,900 per annum
Working Style: Anywhere worker
Closing Date: 4th June 2023
In this role, you will influence the quality of business accommodation across Essex, by providing evidence and guidance to internal colleagues, Local Planning Authorities and scheme promoters.
Over the course of a week, you might:
- Apply your town planning qualification or equivalent experience to propose amendments to the draft employment chapter of an emerging Local Plan, representing the Council at a meeting with economic development officers at one of our 12 district, borough and city councils
- Use your analytical skills to extract relevant information from the Essex Business Accommodation Dashboard, bolstering the case for a different mix of unit sizes and uses at a new business park to that proposed by the developer
- Use your influencing skills to secure Section 106 obligations for an employment allocation at one of our four Garden Communities, maximising economic development outcomes for residents and businesses
- Work with our Planning team to draft the Council’s responses to two planning applications for major employment sites, prioritising your inputs according to their potential impact on both the Essex economy and our Levelling Up Priority Places
- Carry out initial planning appraisal for an opportunity being considered by our Essex Renewal Fund, to ensure an appropriate balance of costs, benefits and risks for the Council
- Use your knowledge and understanding of urban design to provide feedback on the draft masterplan for a proposed Innovation District, ensuring that the needs of business occupiers in our five key growth sectors are taken into account
- Brainstorm creative solutions to close a viability gap, responding positively to changing economic and property market conditions
- Share market intelligence with our inward investment colleagues, to facilitate the private sector investment required to turn today’s employment land allocations into tomorrow’s business accommodation
- Provide accurate and up-to-date information about the County’s business accommodation development pipeline, informing a business case being prepared for Cabinet Member approval
Essex is a county replete with untapped potential and this is an excellent opportunity to shape its economic growth, for the benefit of our residents and businesses.
To read more about us please visit: Economy, Investment and Public Health
Why Essex? Essex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England’s oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest – Basildon and Harlow – are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career.
Your benefits package
- Holiday entitlement of 27 days per annum (plus bank holidays), with the opportunity to buy additional annual leave.
- Local Government Pension Scheme, including life assurance of three times annual salary
- Learning and Development Opportunities
- Employee Wellbeing and Counselling provision
- Employee Networks
- Volunteering leave
- Eye care vouchers, travel discounts, season ticket loans and much more!
There is also an employee Rewards Scheme available for all permanent employees, which includes:
- Retail and restaurant discounts
- Cashback on purchases
- Private health and dental care plans
- Cycle to Work scheme (via Salary Sacrifice)
- Tax free savings on Childcare (via Salary Sacrifice)
What you should do next
If you are interested in finding out more about this role, we would love to hear from you. Please apply via the Working for Essex website.
Interviews are expected be held via Microsoft Teams on Thursday 8th and Friday 9th June 2023, unless otherwise agreed.
Essex County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Leader. We’re committed to interview all disabled applicants who choose to apply under our Job Interview Scheme if they meet the minimum requirements of the job. Please speak to our Recruiters if you require any reasonable adjustments during the process.
We’re also committed to interview all veterans and care leavers, who meet the minimum requirements of the role for which they are applying.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Facebook,Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn. Further details can be found on our careers page.
Pay and Reward | Our Ways of Working | About Us | Organisation Behaviours