Permanent, Part Time
Up to £20,081 per annum (pro rata)
Working Style: Anywhere worker
Premises Assistant - ACL Witham
Permanent - Part Time – 30 hours per week
Actual salary for 30 hours per week up to £16,281.89 per annum
The Premises Assistant will carry out effective caretaking and cleaning of the centre, taking responsibility for monitoring Health and Safety requirements and ensuring that these are met.
Adult Community Learning (ACL) is ECC’s provider of lifelong learning experiences for Essex residents.
ACL offers qualifications to help people move nearer to, enter, or progress within the workplace, or gain skills to enhance life chances. The service focuses many of its programs and activities on the hardest to reach communities within Essex. ACL learners have access to a diverse range of accredited and non-accredited courses which encourage creativity, healthy lifestyles, social inclusion, and engagement.
The role is 30 hours per week working 5 days in 7 on a Rota basis However, you will need to be flexible to working outside of those hours and days when required. With occasional evening, weekend and holiday cover required.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Contribute to the security of and access to the site, locking and unlocking buildings, acting as key holder responding to calls outside normal working hours, setting, checking and turning off alarms
- Undertake caretaking and cleaning to ensure an efficient and effective service is provided for staff, learners and customers. Ensure cleaning standards are met in accordance with specifications
- Responsible for preventing, as far as possible, unauthorised access to the site and unauthorised parking of vehicles, within appropriate policies and codes of practice.
- Responsible for welcoming members of the public, other colleagues and contractors onto site
- Maintain an inventory of the centre’s equipment, updating and reviewing on an annual basis. Test and check functioning of electrical equipment
- Undertake Health and Safety Risk Assessments, including external premises, ensuring policies and procedures are adhered to. Organise periodic emergency evacuation of premises in line with Health and Safety codes of practice. Monitor systems and equipment ensuring they meet health and safety requirements
- Monitor contractors and personnel working on the site, ensuring work is carried out in accordance with specification and compliant with health and safety procedures
- Maintain grounds, including mowing and clearing of weeds, ensure all hard areas and paths are free from litter and drains and gullies are free flowing and clean. Clear snow paths and provide access to premises in all weathers
- Creation and keeping of records, carrying out admin data inputting and general IT communications
- Contribute to the management of stock, ordering and delivery of cleaning materials, other supplies, materials and goods
- Undertake first line repairs and maintenance, as set out in the maintenance plan, ensuring the most effective use of resources
- Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Educated to level 2 (GCSE) or equivalent by experience
- Ability to develop skills within role
- Hands on approach to problem solving
- Experience of cleaning, caretaking and maintenance activities
- Exemplar knowledge and understanding of Health & Safety regulations and policies/procedures with proven understanding of Health & Safety and manual handling policies
- IT literacy – corresponding by email, Teams and general IT admin required
- Good communication and general people skills. You will be meeting and greeting all visitors to the site(s)
- The role requires the postholder to be mobile throughout a wide operational area, including travelling around the county of Essex. A driving license and car, or ability to meet the mobility requirements of the role through other means, is essential
To read more about us please visit:
Place & Public Health: Economy, Investment and Public Health
Please note that the job role requires you to be mobile throughout an operational area. Therefore, the post holder will need to have a driving licence and access to a vehicle, or the ability to meet the mobility requirements of the role through other means.
Why Essex? Essex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England’s oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest – Basildon and Harlow – are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career. Read more about us here.
Essex County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Leader. We’re committed to interview all disabled applicants who choose to apply under our Job Interview Scheme if they meet the minimum requirements of the job. Please speak to our Recruiters if you require any reasonable adjustments during the process.
We’re also committed to interview all veterans and care leavers, who meet the minimum requirements of the role for which they are applying.
What you should do next
If you are interested in finding out more about this role, we would love to hear from you. Please apply via the Working for Essex website.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription, and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
If you would like to be kept up to date on other relevant opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news at Essex County Council, please join The Essex Talent Community here .
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email email@example.com