Payroll & People Advisor - Permanent
Permanent, Full Time
Up to £27,338 per annum
Working Style: Anywhere worker
As an Anywhere (hybrid) Worker, your role will have a ECC base location, as shown in the advert and while you may be able to work from home / remotely some of the time, there is an expectation that as and when required by the organisation you need to attend the base location, typically 1 - 2 times per week and any travel time or travel cost incurred when attending the based location will not be met by the organisation.
Please note that in addition to this permanent position we are also recruiting for a 12-month Fixed Term Contract / 12-month Secondment.
The Payroll service sits within the People and Transformation function. To influence both the customer and employee experience in a key area of employee engagement. Providing a comprehensive service, investing in a new technology to better support our users and enable an empowered self-service and support function.
The Payroll & People Advisor will provide a high-quality payroll and a customer focused transactional service. Using a depth of business knowledge in dealing with a high volume of diverse transactions and working to strict deadlines. With responsibility for resolving payroll queries and performing an analytical processing role within one or more payroll disciplines.
You will provide support and resolutions quickly and efficiently at the first point of call. Our ethos is to provide advice, support and guidance that is simple, clear, efficient, and effective, this includes communication, terminology, and our processes.
The role requires a strong system knowledge to undertake user acceptance testing
- Responsible for ensuring data input is accurate to ensure payments and deductions are correctly administered, in line with statutory and contractual requirements e.g. Pensions contributions. Where possible supporting and guiding employees in using self-service.
- Responsible for resolving complex payroll queries to ensure timeframes are met within agreed Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
- Responsible for payroll processes generating payments to employees and third parties, along with associated internal/external statutory reporting.
- Support the requirement for ensuring the integrity and security of personal, contractual and financial information, to meet legislation and Council policies.
- Work collaboratively within a team, to ensure work is processed and delivered to a high standard, ensuring quality of outputs.
- Responding effectively to customers’ enquiries in a timely and professional manner and meeting service standards, this can be via the customer portal, in writing, or verbally in a call or meeting.
- Supports the drive to improve the service and quality of outputs and system testing to ensure customer expectations are exceeded.
- Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
- Educated to RQF level 3 (GCSE) or equivalent by experience.
- Evidence of continuing professional development and knowledge in relevant professional area, working towards a CIPP qualification.
- Experience of using payroll systems to deliver a high quality service.
- Good working knowledge of payroll processes including statutory payments, deductions and pension schemes.
- Working collaboratively with colleagues to deliver good practice and advice on policy.
- Ability to communicate effectively, demonstrating empathy, listening and questioning skills to a very high level, with a high standard of written communication.
- Experience of working in a customer-orientated environment, dealing with queries in a service delivery setting and continuously seeking to improve the services provided.
To read more about us please visit: https://www.workingforessex.com/role/people-and-transformation
Essex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England’s oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest – Basildon and Harlow – are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career. Read more about us here.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found here pay and reward
To view our Organisational Behaviours information please follow this link.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription, and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
If you would like to be kept up to date on other relevant opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news at Essex County Council, please join The Essex Talent Community here .
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email email@example.com