Park Maintenance Training Programme
Fixed Term, Term Time
Working Style: Fixed-base worker
Closing Date: Sunday 9th October 2022
We’re pleased to share the details of our new programme, starting in September 2022, which will be based in Great Notley Country Park, supported by Abberton Rural Training (ART).
This offers an excellent opportunity for individuals who want to work in horticulture but need a little more support to transition into employment.
As part of this programme you'll be completing work experience in the Country Park that gets you ready for moving into employment (or an apprenticeship) within land management, horticulture, gardening, conservation, countryside & environment, construction or rural crafts.
You will be supported in gaining a qualification in “Countryside & Environment”.
This programme is unpaid, but the costs of your training and qualification will be covered, and there may be a job opportunity at the end of it (although this cannot be guaranteed).
Please click here to view our brochure, with more information about the programme - Brochure
Work you’ll be doing
This programme gives you the opportunity to experience the work within a Country Park, putting the skills you have learnt from the classroom training into practice.
You will work within a small team of learners (supervised by a Tutor), carrying out physical work which could include:
- Scrub clearance
- Carrying out soil surveys
- Footpath maintenance
- Plant and invertebrate monitoring
- Trail work
- Installing or maintaining fences / signposting
- Tree work
- Gorse / hemlock removal
- Using tools and equipment
- The programme will be starting w/c 12th September 2022
- 6 month placement (during term time only)
- Working in the Country Park for 2 days a week, 10am-3pm
- You will be completing work from home on the other day (total of 3 days per week)
Who can apply?
To be eligible for the programme, you need to be:
- Aged 16-24 (or age 25 with an Educational Health Care Plan)
- Unemployed with little or no work experience
- Happy & able to commit to the 6 month programme (starting Sept 2022)
- Interested in studying towards a qualification, which includes maths/English alongside your work experience
- Most importantly, you’ll be eager to work and learn!
The aim is for this programme to offer you a stepping-stone to starting your career, especially if you’re struggling to find work, or you don’t have relevant qualifications/experience.
What skills do you need?
- An interest in working outdoors, doing a number of jobs around the County Park
- Happy to learn new skills
- Reliable, punctual and professional
- Physically able to work outdoors, carrying out manual tasks
- Can work well within a team
- Hard working and dedicated
When making your application please submit a CV if you have one prepared. If you do not have a CV prepared please apply by telling us a bit about you (your skills, any work completed, hobbies or things you enjoy) and why this Traineeship role is of interest to you.
If you would prefer to speak to a member of the team directly, this can also be arranged – please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org