Mobile School Crossing Patrol Officer
Permanent, Term Time
Up to £16,823.40 per annum (pro rata)
Location: Harwich & Dovercourt
Closing Date: 28th March 2021
Please note this role is for 5 hours per week on weekdays for 39 weeks per year (plus additional hours when needed.)
The School Crossing Patrol Service is based in Chelmsford, however, this role will be based in Dovercourt.
STOP! Are you looking for an opportunity to support your community in a socially rewarding and invigorating way?
The role of School Crossing Patrol Officer/Lollipop Person is ideal for someone who is looking for a good reason to get up bright and early each morning and has a little time to spare (once in the morning and once in the afternoon, both for approx. 45mins) to help the community and ensure the safety of all pedestrians crossing the road to and from school and its surrounding locations.
All uniforms, equipment and training will be provided.
5 hours per week retainer paid plus duty hours as worked. Mileage paid minus first and last 5 miles and travel time in excess of 15 mins journey time per trip is paid. Additional travel time allowed for morning congestion.
The basic salary equates to payment during term-time (academic year) for 5 hours per week with a holiday pay element included. In return for your basic salary you agree to be available to work during the 39 weeks of the academic year and you will receive this payment irrespective of any hours worked.
Additional hours worked will be reimbursed monthly in addition to your basic salary and paid at your normal rate of pay.
All journeys to and from a school crossing site where you are required to work will be counted as working time paid at your normal rate of pay minus the first 15 minutes of each journey – time claimed must be calculated using the normal travel time and route as shown by a UK on-line route planning calculator.
Mileage is paid for this role minus five miles for the first and last journey of each day in accordance with ECC’s Travel and Subsistence policy.
GO! If you think you can help out your local school please read on and apply below.
As the school's designated Lollipop person your role will be:
- To have regard for the needs of people with disabilities, especially mobility impaired people wishing to use the crossing point.
- Maintain regular contact with the schools attended by children using the crossing.
- When requested, assist children crossing the road when walking to and from special events.
- To regularly assess the risks associated with operating at the crossing site in order to identify any problems. Report problems and defects to supervisor.
- To assist in the preparation of reports on accidents and failure to stop incidents and other incidents occurring at the crossing site.
- To ensure that all uniform and equipment provided is maintained in good condition and replacements requested when needed.
- To give clear signals to drivers when stopping traffic and ensuring that the traffic remains at rest until the road at the crossing point is clear of pedestrians. · When requested, to assist with road safety and pedestrian training.
- To carry out the Council’s policy with regard to the school crossing patrol service, as outlined in the service handbook and other policies and procedures, and Health and Safety requirements.
- Clean driving licence and vehicle access.
As part of employment with Essex County Council should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. For more information please use the following link: https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits/
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please email email@example.com or call us onLines are open Monday to Friday 08:30 - 16.30.