Lead for Strengthening Communities
Permanent, Full Time
Up to £48,703 per annum
Working Style: Anywhere worker
Closing Date: 29th January 2023
This role plays a very important part within Economy, Investment and Public Health (EIPH) and wider Essex County Council structures to the Council’s aspiration to become an outcome focused and evidence based commissioning authority.
This role will be responsible for delivering the community strategy in relation to the wider Essex community agenda, focused on supporting the Everyone’s Essex commitments.
As a subject matter expert, this role will make bold decisions and drive commissioning to ensure best value outcomes and value for money enabling the citizens of Essex to take more control and responsibility for their own health and wellbeing.
As an experienced leader and professional expert you will ensure you provide the support required for communities to drive and maximise funding opportunities to enable local communities across Essex to facilitate greater empowerment to help each other.
- Roles at this level will provide expert professional advice to inform corporate management and development of the council as a whole. They will lead on turning this advice into business cases for political approval. The service delivery requirements and standards are usually clearly defined by the Director with annual staff and financial budgets. The role is accountable for:
- Operational planning and performance review to maintain exceptional service delivery and ensures the political objectives and priorities of the council are met.
- Working collaboratively within and across functions and thinking commercially to support the delivery of best possible outcomes for our customers on a financially sustainable basis.
- Maintain and nurture collaborative relationships with other teams in the function and external organisations that support the delivery of annual plans.
- Implementing changes and continually evaluating service to improve the area of work, while maintaining the highest possible levels of service quality are continuity of delivery.
- Manage complex issues and resources to meet the needs of customers and deliver the best possible outcomes
- Effective utilisation of digital technologies and innovation across the function.
- Equality and diversity is celebrated and considered as part of all decisions taken.
- Using professional expertise to translate goals and plans into ways of working that comply with relevant legislation and statutory requirements and manages a level of appropriate risk.
- Deliver exemplar customer interactions to individuals and communities which support strong relationships and a reputation for achieving outcomes and resolving issues.
- Responsible for establishing and assessing the main priorities across operational Public Health and commissioning to ensure on an Essex wide basis delivery of those priorities in which progress and success can be measured.
- Work collaboratively with a broad range of stakeholders, functions and experts across the community to ensure they address key demand challenges and support the social movement across ECC where communities help and support each other.
- Provide subject matter expert advice and guidance as required for thematic programmes and projects which will change dependent on strategic priorities.
- Responsible for managing dependencies across teams to ensure the impact of Community initiatives are assessed against technical and economic assessments.
- Responsible for ensuring an understanding of social value across ECC and delivering a programme that ensures support and maximising value for money commissioning through procurement programmes.
- Utilise funding expertise to maximise opportunities for community initiatives that ensures the opportunity is available for communities to address key challenges across Essex.
- Responsible for developing compelling and innovative business cases to gain support and approval for programmes by ensuring business benefits are robust.
- Responsible for ensuring effective monitoring and evaluation processes are developed to deliver high quality standards and meet statutory requirements in delivering new programmes.
- Lead, matrix manage and motivate a team to deliver exemplary solutions and ensure they address ECC strategic objectives in addressing key community challenges and enable more support to help each other than relying on central or local government.
- Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent by experience, with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant professional areas.
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) in a Public Health, or related activity service/function area, and programme/project management expertise.
- Evidence of experience of working with communities, including the Voluntary and Community Sector, to build community capacity to respond collaboratively to societal challenges.
- Exemplary communication skills, confident to gather information and highlight insights in presenting persuasive arguments for change across communities and within ECC.
- Experience of managing or delivering commissioning activities or projects.
- Knowledge and experience of all aspects of the commissioning cycle, project life-cycle and related activities gained within a commissioning environment.
- Evidence of experience and sound knowledge of Community and Statutory Sector Grant development, contract management and procurement.
- Experience of working with, or supporting, the Armed Forces Community desirable.
- Create an environment and culture in which new and bold approaches are supported.
To read more about us please visit: Economy, Investment and Public Health
Why Essex? Essex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England’s oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest – Basildon and Harlow – are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career. Read more about us here.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found here pay and reward
To view our Organisational Behaviours information please follow this link.
What you should do next
If you are interested in finding out more about this role, we would love to hear from you. Please apply via the Working for Essex website.
If you would like to be kept up to date on other relevant opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news at Essex County Council, please join The Essex Talent Community here .
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email firstname.lastname@example.org