Kickstart - Corporate Strategy Team Assistant
Fixed Term, Part Time
National Minimum Wage
Closing Date: 23rd May 2021
Essex County Council is one of the largest Local Authorities in the UK, with responsibility for delivering services and support to our 1.4m Essex residents. We are also responsible for running the council on a day to day basis including services like administration, finance, HR and customer service.
We are excited to be supporting the Kickstart scheme and are very pleased you have taken an interest in this opportunity to join us on the Kickstart programme. Please note that to be eligible for the Kickstart scheme you must meet the following criteria
- Aged between 16-24 years
- Currently receiving Universal Credits
- Have informed your DWP Work Coach that you wish to apply for this vacancy
Kickstart positions are for 6 months and working 25 hours per week. Further details on the Kickstart scheme a can be found at https://kickstart.campaign.gov.uk/
What’s great about working for ECC is that we have nearly 7000 employees who work for us, from everything to our Country Parks, managing our highways and transport and all the support services needed to deliver the best service to our residents. We are really proud that at ECC you can truly have a career, from entry level opportunities Essex County Council is one of the largest Local Authorities in the UK, with right through to senior leadership positions.
Business Area: Strategy, Insight and Engagement
The Corporate Strategy Team Assistant works within the Corporate Strategy Team of ECC. This team works with elected political leaders and senior officers to help them develop strategies and plans to address the challenges of the future. The team also includes the Cabinet Office, who are responsible for providing support and advice to our elected political leaders.
- Provide administration support for the team in their roles, which includes:
- Organising meetings, workshops and other group activities
- Assisting with the preparation of meeting papers and support documents
- Taking meeting notes and maintaining records of agreed actions
- Maintaining the forward plan team of meetings and activities
- Assisting with the management of shared email accounts
- Assisting with the handling of correspondence and enquiries
- Assisting in processing invoices and payments
- Produce a weekly list of new reports, consultations and policy documents from the government and other influential organisations
- Assist in the preparation of PowerPoint presentations, written reports and other documents
- Assist in the planning or individual projects and activities
- Producing the team newsletter highlighting the team’s work to the rest of the organisation
Required Skills and Experience:
- Good standard of literacy and numeracy, with GCSE (or equivalent) in English and Maths (minimum of a Grade 4 or C).
- IT literate, including Microsoft Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Able to learn to use new applications/programmes as needed for the role including MS Teams and other corporate IT tools.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work with people of all ages.
- Willingness to learn on the job and use e-learning tools. Must meet eligibility criteria set out by the DWP:
- Aged between 16-24 years old
- Receiving Universal Credits
- You must also make your Work Coach aware of your interest in the opportunity.
- Have a desire to succeed and a willingness to learn new skills and demonstrate a good work ethic.
- Ability to deliver duties, as required; being well organised, reliable, and able to meet deadlines, whilst appropriately handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Excellent communication skills are essential, as well as an ability to build and establish relationships, a friendly approach.
- Experience of working effectively as part of a team, is helpful but not essential.
- A positive, proactive can-do attitude is a must.
As part of employment with Essex County Council should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. For more information please use the following link: https://www.workingforessex.com/working-here/pay-reward/ Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment. We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email email@example.com