Kickstart - Business Support
Fixed Term, Part Time
National Minimum Wage
Closing Date: 31st October 2021
Essex County Council is one of the largest Local Authorities in the UK, with responsibility for delivering services and support to our 1.4m Essex residents. We are also responsible for running the council on a day to day basis including services like administration, finance, HR and customer service.
We are excited to be supporting the Kickstart scheme and are very pleased you have taken an interest in this opportunity to join us on the Kickstart programme. Please note that to be eligible for the Kickstart scheme you must meet the following criteria
1. Aged between 16-24 years
2. Currently receiving Universal Credits
3. Have informed your DWP Work Coach that you wish to apply for this vacancy
Further details on the Kickstart scheme a can be found at https://kickstart.campaign.gov.uk/
What’s great about working for ECC is that we have nearly 7000 employees who work for us, from everything to our Country Parks, managing our highways and transport and all the support services needed to deliver the best service to our residents. We are really proud that at ECC you can truly have a career, from entry level opportunities Essex County Council is one of the largest Local Authorities in the UK, with right through to senior leadership positions.
Business Area: Corporate Services
The Business Support Team works flexibly to deliver outstanding administration and customer service to all Essex County Council functional areas.
Our multi skilled teams deliver services from Business Centre hubs; providing a wide variety of support to high volume processes and tasks such as data input and management, minute taking, finance tasks, managing high volume calls and requests for assistance. We also support front line social care teams that require a more integrated approach to support.
We are proactive, forward-thinking and solution focused, we streamline processes and maximise digital opportunities. In doing so, we help increase the effectiveness of Essex County Council to deliver better outcomes for the people of Essex than it could without our support.
Business Support are committed to supporting and development staff to achieve their aspirations.
- Inputting data from source documents into the relevant recording system, checking the accuracy, verifying and correcting data
- Responding to emails and telephone calls
- Maintaining your own diary and work pattern management
- Photocopying and scanning documents
- Producing and sending letters
- Covering Reception and dealing with incoming post
- Attending meetings with team colleagues and Managers, either in person or by video
- Work alongside other administrative assistants and apprentices who will train you and support you through the day to day work
- Action notes/minute taking
- Assisting with Travel warrants
- Follow ECC policies and procedures for task completion and our expected standards of behaviours.
Required Skills and Experience
- Good level of English, both written & verbal – ideally with English GCSE (or equivalent) at Grade C / 4 or higher
- Good computer skills.
- Must meet eligibility criteria set out by the DWP:
- Aged between 16-24 years old
- Receiving Universal Credits
- You must also make your Work Coach aware of your interest in the opportunity.
- Have a desire to succeed and a willingness to learn new skills and demonstrate a good work ethic.
- Ability to deliver duties, as required; being well organised, reliable, and able to meet deadlines, whilst appropriately handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Excellent communication skills are essential, as well as an ability to build and establish relationships, a friendly approach.
- Experience of working effectively as part of a team, is helpful but not essential. A positive, proactive can-do attitude is a must.
To read more about us please visit:
Corporate Services: https://www.workingforessex.com/role/corporate/
Essex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England’s oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest – Basildon and Harlow – are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career. To read more please visit: https://www.workingforessex.com/about-us/
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://www.workingforessex.com/working-here/pay-reward/
To view our Organisational Behaviours information please follow this link: https://www.workingforessex.com/organisational-behaviours/
What you should do next
If you are interested in finding out more about this role, we would love to hear from you. Please apply via the Working for Essex website.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
If you would like to be kept up to date on other relevant opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news at Essex County Council, please join The Essex Talent Community here .
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email - email@example.com