Highways Engineer & Technical Business Analyst
Permanent, Full Time
Up to £46,359 per annum
Location: Chelmsford - Remote working available
The Highways and Transportation team over the coming years will strive to continually improve the service, specifically around leveraging value from emerging technologies.As an experienced highways engineer you will bring your expertise and skills in the highways field to help embed new ideas and thinking in Essex Highways. In addition, we are keen to speak with you if you have experience in benchmarking and market testing as this role will help us deliver service improvements, reduce and limits cost, as well as grow income. As an Engineer, you will be used to providing service and programme assurance, ensuring controls are in place to mark progress, manage budgets, risk and quality, to ensure services are delivered in line with policy and specification.Please speak to us if you have the ability to evaluate the business environment and introduce effective, efficient and cost-saving processes to deliver improvements in quality of service. Evidence of working with statistical, financial and performance information, defining baseline positions that assist budget modelling is essential.
- Responsible for provision of expertise in benchmarking as part of the Intelligent Client ethos, preparing and delivering a Benchmarking and Market Testing strategy, which drives improvement and innovation
- Deliver financial savings to meet the Council’s Medium Term Resource Strategy (MTRS)
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders to build compelling cost/benefit propositions for business cases, understanding complex, interdependent and wide-ranging business requirements of delivering quality public services.
- Responsible for identifying and implementing business efficiencies to drive service improvements and secure the MTRS.
- Horizon scan for exemplars and case studies of efficient highways delivery practice, with the ability to increase revenue drive change and deliver a financially sustainable service.
- Deliver strong budgetary control and financial management.
- To provide a first-class service to customers, and, to co-ordinate and deliver a range of highways services within the responsibility of the Commissioning team.
- To support the Commissioning team managers with the development of strategic commercial issues and with the day to day management of the HST contract as appropriate.
- To review and update as necessary the policies, standards and processes that apply to the Highways & Transportation Service, including the HST Contract Service Specification and Technical Specification
- To provide highways engineering expertise and assist with the contribution to new practices and procedures to deliver efficiencies and respond to technological advances.
- Assist with checking and approving supply chain partners, and with the auditing of services carried out for the Council, and the documentation relating to it
- To assist with the preparation, design, planning programming and ordering of services within the responsibility of the Commissioning team
- To ensure compliance with the Health & Safety policies of the Council and to ensure that the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations are fully applied to programme delivery
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Educated to degree level or appropriate professional qualification, or equivalent professional experience.
- Evidence of continuing professional development, and knowledge in relevant professional area
- Experience of delivering highways services with an ability to analyse and suggest mitigation consistent with the contract strategy.
- Builds collaborative working relationships to aid effective negotiation and dispute resolution, and works collaboratively with HST partner to ensure delivery of highway services to a consistently high standard. This will involve influencing, persuading and matrix management to support Essex Highways employees meeting contract performance and efficiencies
- Evidence of working with complex statistical, financial and performance information, defining coherent baseline positions to inform budget modelling.
- Strong commercial skills with an ability to identify and maximise benefits from commercial opportunities.
- Experience of driving and delivering sustainable change within a large complex organisation, to embed a climate of continuous improvement.
- Significant experience in delivering a benchmarking and market testing strategy, evaluating the business environment and introducing effective, efficient and cost-saving processes to deliver improvements in quality of service.
As part of employment with Essex County Council should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. For more information please use the following link: https://www.workingforessex.com/working-here/pay-reward/
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email firstname.lastname@example.org