Graduate Procurement Trainee
Permanent, Full Time
£25,000 - £28,546 per annum
Closing Date: Sunday 30th January 2022
The Procurement function within Essex County Council is looking for the senior leaders of the future.
Procurement works with colleagues across the council, with partners in the wider public sector and with our supply chains to deliver innovative solutions for the people of Essex. Leading the end to end procurement cycle with responsibility for all category management, sourcing and contract management, managing a supply chain whose reach is one of the largest in the public sector.
The Procurement Function manages an annual third party spend of £1.2bn and a contract portfolio of £5.8bn.
Our graduate programme will equip you with the skills and experience necessary to become a qualified Procurement professional (CIPS) and put you on the path to the most senior roles in the public sector.
The Graduate Procurement Trainee will undertake a comprehensive programme of training and development, through individually planned placements within the Procurement Department over a three-year period to gain a broad knowledge of procurement practice and gain valuable insight.
Responsibilities will include:
- Fulfil a planned programme of sub team rotations in the procurement function across the various teams; Corporate, Economy and Investment, Climate, Environment and Customer Services, Strategy and Assurance, Adults with Disabilities and/or Older People.
- Within each placement, achieve high standards and demonstrate the deliverable outcomes as agreed at the start of the placement.
- Deliver robust research and analysis to ensure category plans are relevant, useful and informative. Use these plans to create short, medium and long-term strategies and action plans for individual categories.
- Remain up-to-date with market conditions, shaping markets to achieve organisational goals and responding to change efficiently.
- Lead the delivery of sourcing processes, ensuring compliance with the Authority’s Procurement Policy and Procedures.
- Manage contracts and top tier suppliers to ensure that performance standards are achieved and any contractual, commercial or market risks are identified; to ensure appropriate mitigations put in place.
- Supporting the Strategy and Assurance sub team to develop policies and procedures that promote cross functional, best practice ways of working.
To be considered for this role you must have:
- Minimum 2:1 degree in any discipline (or equivalent qualification), or be expecting to graduate at this level by summer 2022.
- Working knowledge and understanding of Microsoft office packages.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels.
- Ability to contribute to proposals and decisions.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others to successfully achieve tasks and deliver results.
- Willing to assist in developing solutions to tackle problems and achieving outcomes.
- Ability to build relationships with others, both internally and externally to the organisation.
- Willing to study toward MCIPS accreditation.
To be considered for this opportunity you must include a supporting statement or cover letter as part of your application. Applications that are received without a supporting statement/cover letter will be rejected immediately.
Please ensure your CV or cover letter includes details of your Degree, A Level and GCSE (or equivalent) grades. We may not be able to consider your application if these details aren’t readily available.
As a Graduate Trainee you will receive a comprehensive package which includes:
- Competitive starting salary
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Full training (qualification costs are paid)
- Professional memberships and expenses (paid for)
- Paid time off for study and exams
- 25 days leave, plus bank holidays
- Hybrid workstyles to offer genuine flexible working as standard so you can achieve the right work/life balance.
- Plus much more...
We are also currently recruiting for our Finance Graduate Scheme, so please take a moment to review this opportunity too.
If you have any questions regarding this role, or require further information, please contact the Entry to Work Team – Work.firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please have a read through our graduate brochure.