Graduate Finance Trainee
Permanent, Full Time
£25,000 - £28,546 per annum
Closing Date: Sunday 30th January 2022
Essex County Council has a turnover of over £2 billion, a £900 million supply chain and over a million transactions a year. We are responsible for the financial administration of these substantial budgets, and we do so with a strong customer focused approach in an increasingly complex supplier and market landscape.
As a Finance Graduate Trainee, you will join our graduate programme, which will equip you with a broad range of skills and tailored experiences, leading to the CIPFA (Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy) accountancy qualification and a fantastic platform to grow your finance career with a clear path to the most senior roles in the public sector.
The scheme involves targeted placements across different Finance Teams, gaining a broad base of financial experience, whilst studying for the CIPFA Level 7 Apprenticeship, which leads to the CIPFA professional qualification and CPFA designation. This is the key qualification for anyone pursuing a career in public finance. Further information can be found in our graduate brochure.
At Essex County Council, our Graduate Finance Trainees can make a very real and valuable impact to local communities in Essex, playing a part in some of the most ambitious and innovative national programmes. As well as working for one of the biggest local authorities in the Country, you will help contribute to Everyone’s Essex – our plan for levelling up the county for the next 4 years, which focuses on outcomes that really matter for our residents:
- The economy
- The environment
- Children and families
- Promoting health, care and wellbeing for all the parts of the population who need our support
Responsibilities will include:
- Building a strong understanding of all financial management and reporting systems and processes, ensuring clarity on financial systems and processes to maximise efficiency ensuring proper reconciliation and control procedures are in place.
- Undertaking analysis of financial and performance data and providing financial advice in order to support effective decision making and meet financial governance requirements across ECC.
- Delivery of accurate financial estimates, forecasts and plans to ensure all identified risks are quantified and appropriately recorded.
- Support the timely delivery and preparation of information for business case submissions from a financial perspective, quality assuring the information provided, to ensure that customer requirements are met.
- Delivery of timely information in order to support the annual accounts closure programme in accordance with the agreed timetable.
- Building strong working relationships with finance colleagues and relevant stakeholders across ECC to contribute to the delivery of a high performing customer focused finance service. This may include supporting front line services where your work contributes to improving the lives of residents across Essex.
To be considered for this role you must have:
- A minimum 2:1 degree or be expecting to graduate at this level by summer 2022.
- Ideally we are seeking applicants with a degree in a discipline with a strong numeracy and/or analytical bias, but we will consider strong applicants irrespective of the degree subject.
To be considered for this opportunity you must include a supporting statement or cover letter as part of your application. Applications that are received without a supporting statement/cover letter will be rejected immediately.
Please ensure your CV or cover letter includes details of your Degree, A Level and GCSE (or equivalent) grades. We may not be able to consider your application if these details aren’t readily available.
The Graduate Trainee receives a comprehensive package of benefits, which includes:
- Competitive starting salary
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Full training (qualification costs are paid)
- Professional memberships and expenses (paid for)
- Paid time off for study and exams
- 25 days leave, plus bank holidays
- Hybrid workstyles to offer genuine flexible working as standard so you can achieve the right work/life balance.
- Plus much more…
- A mentor/study buddy to guide you through the scheme and your studies.
- Employee support networks, to ensure everyone in treated with dignity and respect
- Our People Plan 2021-2025 seeks to invest in our people, with a focus on diversity, equality and inclusion, collaboration and continuously understanding how to upskill our workforce
- The opportunity to contribute to the Essex community and be proud of the impact of your work.
This is a permanent role. If a suitable opportunity isn’t available upon qualification you will continue to rotate to different Finance teams to build on your experience.
We are also recruiting for our Procurement Graduate Scheme, so please do take a moment to review this opportunity too.
We have some exciting news - we now have additional vacancies available for Graduates within the Essex Pension Fund.
The Essex Pension Fund is in the top ten largest Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) funds in the country and is at the forefront of how pension professionals interpret the impact of a changing regulatory environment across Police, Fire and Local Government Pension schemes looking after over 160,000 scheme members. To find out more about our Pension Fund before applying, take a look at our blog post here: https://www.workingforessex.com/blog/essex-pension-funds
Take a look at our website to find out everything you need to know before applying: https://bit.ly/3FI3tfl
Your application will automatically be considered for both Finance and Pension opportunities when applying for the Finance position.
If you have any questions regarding this role, or require further information, please contact the Entry to Work Team – Work.firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please have a read through our graduate brochure.