Energy Efficiency Officer
Fixed Term, Full Time
Up to £33,267 per annum
Working Style: Anywhere worker
Closing Date: 30th January 2023
Please note that this is a fixed term contract opportunity until end of August 2023.
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda – one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We’re immensely proud of our flexible working options.
Essex County Council (ECC) is committed to changing the way we work, produce, consume, and travel, to take action on climate change and significantly reduce carbon emissions, air pollution and waste in the County.
The Energy Efficiency Officer is responsible for ensuring the success of the Low Carbon Across the South East 2 (LoCASE 2) project, part funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF)
LoCASE 2 supports SMEs across the South East Local Enterprise Partnerships (SELEP) area to lower carbon emissions and improve energy efficiency through targeted business support and grants.
Key skills we are looking for include experience in carrying out energy audits industrial and commercial businesses; educated to degree/postgraduate level desirable or experience in an environmental based field; deep understanding of Low Carbon policy and environmental initiatives, locally, nationally and in Europe; and knowledge of Low Carbon Technologies/Renewables, philosophy, and methodology, with an ability to translate into programmes of work.
- Responsible for managing individual businesses through the journey of diagnostic assessment and energy efficiency advice process.
- Responsible for energy surveying business premises and advising on best measure(s) for each building through excel based energy, emission and cost savings.
- Implement and manage diagnostic assessment and energy efficiency advice for the LoCASE 2 project, ensuring synergies between the work packages and key objectives.
- Work collaboratively with businesses to assist identification of appropriate and relevant carbon reduction solutions, contributing to the commissioning of external service providers support.
- Work closely with economic and business support officers in each of the Business Essex, Southend & Thurrock (BEST) Growth Hub areas, managing relationships between businesses and suppliers on behalf of the LOCASE 2 partners.
- Develop and maintain partnerships across the BEST Growth Hub area and the wider South East LEP (SELEP) on low carbon economy and business engagement initiatives. Incorporating learning outcomes and best practice in the project.
- Contribute to the achievement of desired impact and outputs of the LoCASE project across the BEST Growth Hub area, promoting this through networking events and workshops.
- Specific Individual and Shared targets and objectives are defined within the performance management framework.
The Experience You Will Bring
- Experience of conducting energy audits within businesses and non-domestic buildings, interrogating data relating to energy consumption and carbon emissions and producing high quality energy efficiency analysis and reports (EPC and excel based).
- Educated to degree/postgraduate level desirable (but not essential) or equivalent experience in an environmental based field.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of the Low Carbon policy agenda and environmental initiatives, locally, nationally and in Europe, particularly in respect of business engagement and support.
- Good understanding of Low Carbon Technologies/Renewable opportunities, philosophy and methodology, with an ability to translate into programmes of work.
- Ability to build strong working relationships with partners which are collaborative and influential, leading to achievement of joint objectives
To read more about us please visit: Climate, Environment and Customer Services
Why Essex? Essex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England’s oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest – Basildon and Harlow – are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career. Read more about us here.
Essex County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Leader. We’re committed to interview all disabled applicants who choose to apply under our Job Interview Scheme if they meet the minimum requirements of the job. Please speak to our Recruiters if you require any reasonable adjustments during the process.
We’re also committed to interview all veterans and care leavers, who meet the minimum requirements of the role for which they are applying.
What you should do next
If you are interested in finding out more about this role, we would love to hear from you. Please apply via the Working for Essex website.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription, and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
If you would like to be kept up to date on other relevant opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news at Essex County Council, please join The Essex Talent Community here .
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email firstname.lastname@example.org