District Youth and Community Worker – in training
Fixed Term, Full Time
JNC SCP 13 £24,636 – SCP 16 £27,252
Location: Basildon - covering the Castlepoint area
Working Style: Community-based worker
Closing Date: 5th October 2022
- Temporary 2 Year Contract
- Annual Salary - JNC SCP 13 £24,636 – SCP 16 £27,252
- The role is based in a District in the South Essex Quadrant.
We are currently seeking a District Youth and Community Worker (in training) to support the commissioning and development of programmes and imaginative activities within the local communities, whilst encouraging the active participation of young people in developing their own ideas as well as their personal skills.
The post-holder will take ownership and accountability for defined areas of the work programme but will also work flexibly across internal and external teams to support delivery of youth provision in other areas. They will plan and deliver commissioned youth activity, work collaboratively with colleagues and partners and help others to achieve. The post-holder will develop new approaches, based on sound evidence and creative thinking, with a strong focus on improving outcomes for young people and their communities; they will be both proactive and responsive, combining energy and enthusiasm with the tenacity and drive to see things through.
Job Purpose Summary:
To work with young people and their communities:
- Work closely with the Senior Youth and Community Commissioner to help young people and the community to develop the skills and capacity to design and deliver youth provision in their community
- Have supervisory responsibility for the Youth and Community Workers within a hub area
- Making contact and establishing relationships with young people and their communities
- Ensuring the ‘voice’ of young people is heard in the design and delivery of effective youth work provision
- Encouraging and enabling young people to participate in a range of educational and personally challenging activities
- Ensuring access to information and personal support, which enables young people to develop the confidence and skills to become creative, active and critical participants in the wider community
- Manage the organisation to a high-performing, customer-centric culture through exemplar behaviour in accordance with ECC’s Values and Core Leadership Behaviours
- Manage employees in working flexibly and collaboratively across structural boundaries as part of project or process teams in support of key outcomes
- Manage the development of organisational capability through good people management, including the training, development, mentoring and coaching of team members
- Thinking creatively, challenging the norms, and constructively challenging those around them to ensure continuous improvement, commercial astuteness, and inspire the same in employees
- Ensure the proper assessment, management and mitigation of risk, including Health and Safety and Business Continuity
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Successful candidate must hold a minimum of a JNC Level 3 qualification in Youth Work and be willing to undertake a JNC degree qualification supported by Essex Youth Service
- Successful candidate must hold a GCSE C or equivalent in English and Maths and have good IT skills
- Ability to work in partnership and to influence partners across a range of sectors to support the identification of desired outcomes for young people.
- Experience of working with young people which may be in a voluntary role
- Ability to build relationships and relate well to young people
- Ability to motivate young people and facilitate young people’s learning
- Commitment to challenging prejudice and ignorance
- Ability to develop work with young people to achieve planned outcomes
- Ability to work as part of a team
The job requires you to be mobile throughout an operational area, driver’s license and access to a vehicle will be required
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbsupdate-service
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact Recruitment on 0333 013 5888