Data Developer: Performance & Business Intelligence
Fixed Term, 12 months
Full Time, 37 hours per week
Up to £40,187 per annum
Working Style: Anywhere worker
Closing Date: 3rd July 2022
The Data Developer is part of a specialist team with technical expertise and knowledge to deliver management information to the organisation. Using professional industry recognised techniques, the role is critical in delivering accessible real time data and information to operational teams to empower them to make business decisions and deliver effective/efficient services. The role works closely with analysis specialists to turn abstract business questions and academic concepts into highly valued intelligence and insights.
The role applies technical capabilities across the functional areas of the business and familiarity with tools and techniques that optimise and automate processes. The role will act as a key enabler and provide seamless integration with the rest of the service. The role may also offer specialist knowledge within a chosen subject area or have an interest in using skills to develop predictive analytics and translate business requirements into technical specifications.
· Responsible for designing and deploying data table structures, reports, queries and dashboards and maintaining a library of accessible and relevant self-serve reports for operational staff and colleagues.
· Responsible for designing, delivering and maintaining a reporting environment which creates interfaces between databases and database tools for analysts and officers to create simple reports to answer queries.
· Working collaboratively with Business Intelligence Officers to deliver streamlined and automated processes to reduce the resource use of low impact but key statutory tasks and management information reporting.
· Responsible for actively maintaining skills and knowledge in relation to systems, processes and data within service areas to support effective change control process and minimise disruption.
· Responsible for identifying inefficiencies in current databases and investigating solutions utilising change control and testing processes for database modifications to enable diagnosis and resolution of database access and performance issues.
· Responsible for preparing and maintaining documentation and specifications, translating requirements from service areas into technical specifications to support effective joint working and providing robust audit trails for statutory purposes.
· Responsible for providing clear communication to performance officers & analysts and service areas on the progress of reports and the reports repository in order to support collaborative working promote the use of accessible information across the organisation.
· Working collaboratively within and across service boundaries and building effective working relationships with Information Services to support a cycle of effective data recording in turn supporting effective reporting and analysis.
· Responsible for utilising problem solving abilities and proactively exploring best practice to provide timely recommendations on database products, services, protocols and standards in support of procurement and development.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
· Educated to degree level or equivalent by experience.
· Evidence of continuing professional development and knowledge in relevant professional area.
· Highly competent in the use of Structured Query Language (SQL) with the ability to learn quickly and be proactive in continuing to develop programming skills.
· Demonstrable theoretical and working knowledge of relational database theory with significant experience in using a variety of Business Intelligence tools e.g. Power BI, Business objects and SSRS, with the ability to quickly adapt and learn new innovative products.
· Demonstrable practical working application of ETL principles with experience across the project and development life cycle.
· Demonstrable basic database administration skills in order to maintain current intelligence platforms to ensure data security, integrity and appropriate and timely access to end users.
· Significant understanding of data, data processing and quality assurance procedures, with demonstrable knowledge of data protection regulations to ensure compliance with legal obligations.
· Excellent collaboration and communication skills and experience of working as part of a multi-disciplinary team and within in a matrix environment.
For more information on the Policy service and the wider Chief Executive’s Office function of Essex County Council please click on the following link: https://www.workingforessex.com/role/chief-executives-office
Why Essex? Essex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England’s oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest – Basildon and Harlow – are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career. To read more please visit: https://www.workingforessex.com/about-us/
To view our Organisational Behaviours information please visit this link: https://www.workingforessex.com/organisational-behaviours/
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found via https://www.workingforessex.com/working-here/pay-reward/
Apply and next steps
Please apply via the Working for Essex website, ensuring you upload an up to date CV and supporting statement when prompted.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you would like to be kept up to date on other relevant opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news at Essex County Council, please join The Essex Talent Community here .
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please email firstname.lastname@example.org