Customer Services Assistant – Visa Checking Service
Fixed Term, Full Time
Up to £22,361 per annum
Working Style: Fixed-base worker
Please note that this is a fixed term contract opportunity until September 2024.
Please note the service runs Monday to Saturday. This post is to work Tuesday to Saturday however this may change depending on business needs and may require some evenings until 7pm.
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda – one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We’re immensely proud of our flexible working options.
Your role will provide a face- to-face service, supporting customers with their visa and citizenship applications.
You will deliver a service on behalf of the UK Visas and Immigration Service (UKVI) by helping people who have already completed their visa application online to scan and submit their documentation. This means applicants won’t have to post off vital documents, like passports, and can complete their visa application locally. Libraries across the country are being chosen as locations which applicants can visit in person with their documentation. The service for Essex residents is delivered from Chelmsford Library.
The ideal candidate will enjoy working with customers of all ages and backgrounds. Effective communication skills are a necessity together with good listening skills to ensure that you can deal with customer enquiries and queries appropriately.
You will be required to carry out a range of clerical tasks to an appointment diary, so the ability to learn and to work quickly and accurately under pressure is essential. You will need to be able to adapt and respond to a complex, ever-changing environment, taking opportunities to improve the way things are done.
As this service is being provided on behalf of the UKVI Service and specialist software will be provided, you will need to be willing to undertake the necessary checks to receive Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance. The role will be fully trained, competent and experienced in undertaking all duties and functions
Above all, we are looking for people who genuinely enjoy operating in a customer-focused organisation.
- Capture and digitise information as part of a process
- Act as a first point of contact for customers
- Manage customer expectations, interact and display professionalism at all times.
- Adhere to the Quality Framework, ensuring performance targets are met daily and accuracy targets are achieved
- Manage challenging situations always displaying professionalism
- Work as part of a team and also work independently, managing your time appropriately, working efficiently at all times
- Understand the needs of customers and deliver the best possible outcomes through exemplar customer service.
- Answer enquiries from customers promptly, providing accurate information – including referral to other services as appropriate - in a timely fashion.
- Comply with the individual responsibilities for Health Safety & Welfare in the workplace, including ensuring safeguarding children, in accordance with work role
- Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
- Post would be subject to successful Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance
The Experience You Will Bring
- Ability to work with a high level of speed and accuracy including experience of handling confidential and sensitive information
- Excellent organisational skills with great attention to detail
- Effective problem-solving skills and be a team player who constantly displays commitment and flexibility
- Experience of working with the public in a customer-orientated service.
- The ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with colleagues
- The ability to deliver a high-quality and caring customer service in a professional and timely manner, creating trust and confidence
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Working in a high-volume processing environment
- The ability to understand and apply corporate policies and procedures consistently
- Experience in working in a busy customer facing environment.
- IT literate in MS office programmes and ability to learn to use in-house IT systems and processes quickly. Appropriate system training will be provided.
- Awareness of the services which public libraries, registration and coroners service currently offer to customers.
To read more about us please visit: Climate, Environment and Customer Services
Essex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England’s oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest – Basildon and Harlow – are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career. Read more about us here.
Essex County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Leader. We’re committed to interview all disabled applicants who choose to apply under our Job Interview Scheme if they meet the minimum requirements of the job. Please speak to our Recruiters if you require any reasonable adjustments during the process.
We’re also committed to interview all veterans and care leavers, who meet the minimum requirements of the role for which they are applying.
What you should do next
If you are interested in finding out more about this role, we would love to hear from you. Please apply via the Working for Essex website.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription, and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
If you would like to be kept up to date on other relevant opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news at Essex County Council, register here to be part of our new Essex Talent Community.
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email Laura.O’Connor@essex.gov.uk
Follow us on Facebook , Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn . Further details can be found on our careers page .
Pay and Reward , Our Ways of Working, About Us, Organisation Behaviours