Community Support Worker - Debt
12 Month Secondment, Full Time 37 hours a week
£21,531 to £28,008 per annum
Working Style: Anywhere worker
ECC Adult Social Care is making a transformational shift from a focus on long-term care support, to a model with four key principles: prevention, early intervention, enablement and safeguarding. Enabling people, to access information and tools, to live independently and allowing a positive response to growing service demand in a sustainable way, within the financial constraints of ECC.
Working with Social Workers and Occupational Therapists, delivering bespoke intervention work, in accordance with the care plan, to vulnerable adults. The role may be required to manage a caseload, including assessment of risk through direct work, within a quality assurance process. A focus of the role will be to ensure vulnerable people are safeguarded in line with ECC’s statutory obligations.
With relevant experience of working with vulnerable adults, or educated to Level 3 (RQF). You will be passionate about engaging with and providing support in the community, working with partners as required.
- Assess social care needs and provide support to vulnerable adults, to enable them to live healthily and independently; maintaining high standards of professional practice which contribute to continuous improvement across the service and deliver the four key principles.
- Contribute to the development of care and support plans that gain commitment to solutions to meet each individual’s needs.
- Works collaboratively with others, including the placement team, to support the individual to commission care and support from appropriate providers, including developing their own employees through Direct Payments.
- Accountable for working within the statutory legal framework, policy and guidance and determining when the threshold for statutory intervention has been reached, in line with legislative and organisational standards within the Care Act 2015 (e.g. MCA / DoLs / CHC etc.).
- Responsible for highlighting issues and implementing plans to safeguard a vulnerable adult.
- Building strong, effective relationships with clients, families and carers, providing practical advice, support and, where necessary, acting as an advocate. Enabling vulnerable adults to live healthily and as independently as possible.
- Work collaboratively across the service, with internal and external professional partner agencies to deliver joint objectives and ensure improved outcomes for vulnerable adults.
- Knowledge and understanding of how the Financial Assessment process works, how MWACs (Maximum Weekly Assessed Charge) are calculated and applied and how to investigate and resolve client debts when they are in arrears with making payments.
- Provides information and advice in relation to involvement/accessing of third party agencies relevant to the needs of the client (eg benefits agencies, immigration, and housing). Attends meetings, reviews, case conferences and court hearings to provide information, insight and evidence; providing reports where appropriate.
- Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Experience within a social care setting, an NVQ/BTEC Level 3 or equivalent is desirable.
- Evidence of continuing professional development and knowledge in relevant professional area.
- Experience of building strong, effective relationships with adults, their families and carers in times of challenge and crisis.
- Experience of undertaking direct, activity based work with adults.
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite of programmes, particularly Outlook and Excel with good numeracy skills.
- Knowledge of legislative and policy guidance applicable within Social Care settings.
- Proven track record of building working relationships with partners and external agencies.
- A certificate in First Aid and/or knowledge of Sign Language is desirable in this role.
The role requires you to be mobile throughout a wider operational area including travelling around the county of Essex and beyond, transporting service users and their belongings and to be able to do so in an emergency. Driving licence and car or the ability to meet the mobility requirements of the role through other means is essential.
Why Essex? Essex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England’s oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest – Basildon and Harlow – are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career. Read more about us here.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found here pay and reward
To view our Organisational Behaviours information please follow this link.
What you should do next
If you are interested in finding out more about this role, we would love to hear from you. Please apply via the Working for Essex website.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription, and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
If you would like to be kept up to date on other relevant opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news at Essex County Council, please join The Essex Talent Community here.
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email firstname.lastname@example.org