Fixed Term, Full Time
Up to £29,737 per annum
Working Style: Anywhere worker
Please note that this is a fixed term contract opportunity for a period of 12 months.
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda – one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We’re immensely proud of our flexible working options.
This exciting role will support development of the Library Service's outreach partnerships and activities within the library service working with frontline and Service Development teams. The role will shape services, cultivate partnerships and work with the community and with partners to ensure library services and the literacy offer within Essex are promoted to all and throughout local communities.
Community Connectors will focus on delivering targeted library activities at other events and locations in the community and will identify opportunities to collaborate with other ECC functions and local partners to promote and work with the library service - particularly with regard to the literacy, reading, earning and digital offers to help shape delivery of joined-up initiatives.
The role will be the bridge between the Service and the community and will aim to significantly grow, develop and increase the user base and engagement. The holder will be promoting the Library service's literacy, reading, learning and digital offers using events and activities to proactively encourage people of all ages, to engage and participate.
The role holder will actively engage with library staff, community groups and partners, by promoting library services within the community for the successful delivery of key objectives.
- Develop and promote a programme of events which support Customer and Library services in outreach settings. Shape and deliver events and activities which promote library services and encourage library membership.
- Contribute to and support the delivery of the menu of library service activity, through developing partnerships and identifying new ways to promote library services in order to reach residents who are not current library users, raise awareness of the range of library services and increase library use.
- Work collaboratively with local partners to promote literacy, reading, learning and the digital offer, to deliver against Essex County Council’s wider strategic aims.
- Work with partners and develop new partnerships to help reach target audiences and enable the delivery of events and activities. Through these partnerships target a wide segment of the community and engage residents in activities and events that interest them.
- Develop and manage outreach opportunities that are successful and have lasting impact within the community. Deliver on priorities and build new audiences across the County, supported by clear service guidance, training and model delivery examples.
- Responsible for using an evidence-based framework to monitor and evaluate programmes of activity in outreach settings, demonstrating value for money and a good fit for the customer.
- Support the development and effective delivery of services and activities, by building strong working relationships with internal and external partners and the citizens of Essex.
- Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
The Experience You Will Bring
- ECDL Advanced level (level 3) or equivalent, or a relevant professional qualification, or equivalent relevant experience.
- Effective communication skills and experience of working with diverse audiences and partners. Experience of working with community groups, customers and volunteers and the ability to develop strong relationships with library colleagues, internal and external partners and across the wider library network.
- Excellent co-ordination skills and experience in delivering projects including relationship building, time management. Willingness to develop knowledge of the service area.
- Experience of preparing and effectively delivering communications and managing the development and delivery of activities and events programmes. Experience of researching and developing new services. Experience of working in outreach with young people and/or families.
- Ability to prioritise work whilst maintaining focus on key activities, within defined timescales, on own initiative and as part of a team.
- Ability to build and form working relationships with library colleagues, internal and external partners and across the wider library network.
For more information about Essex Libraries, please visit us online at: http://libraries.essex.gov.uk .
To read more about us please visit: Climate, Environment and Customer Services
Please note that the job role requires you to be mobile throughout an operational area. Therefore, the post holder will need to have a driving licence and access to a vehicle, or the ability to meet the mobility requirements of the role through other means.
Why Essex? Essex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England’s oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest – Basildon and Harlow – are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career. Read more about us here.
Essex County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Leader. We’re committed to interview all disabled applicants who choose to apply under our Job Interview Scheme if they meet the minimum requirements of the job. Please speak to our Recruiters if you require any reasonable adjustments during the process.
We’re also committed to interview all veterans and care leavers, who meet the minimum requirements of the role for which they are applying.
What you should do next
If you are interested in finding out more about this role, we would love to hear from you. Please apply via the Working for Essex website.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription, and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
If you would like to be kept up to date on other relevant opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news at Essex County Council, please join The Essex Talent Community here .
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email Laura.O’Connor@essex.gov.uk