Business Support Assistant
Fixed Term, Part Time
Up to £19,971 per annum FTE
Working Style: Anywhere worker
Please note this is a Part-time 22hrs per week Fixed Term Contract (Maternity Cover) until 9th September 2023 based at Stanwell House, Colchester. Discussions can be held around working patterns for the successful candidate
The role will involve reception cover at the Mulberry Tree Family Centre, Colchester. the expectation will be to be onsite 1-2 days a week.
Actual salary for 22hrs per week up to £11,874.65 per annum.
This role is part of the north Service support team working alongside colleagues to support the varying demands of the Children & Families service. The successful candidate will possess a curious mindset, ability to use various IT based systems, be able to communicate with members of the public and professionals alike. This is an exciting, varied and challenging role that means every day is different.
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda – one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We’re immensely proud of our flexible working options.
Business Support provides a range of customer focused administration, transactional and support services for citizens, internal customers, partners, and suppliers of the Council.
The Business Support Assistant is an administration and customer service professional who works as part of a business support team to deliver effective, routine administration and customer service activities as directed. Learning and developing an understanding of existing processes and systems, with a good basic knowledge of services provided by ECC. Providing support such as word processing, data entry, updating databases, meet and greet, directing customer queries, inbox processing, petty cash payments etc.
- Providing high quality, efficient and effective administration and reception services to internal and external customers within agreed timescales and SLAs and in line with customer service standards.
- Acting as a professional representative of the Business Support service at a local level, dealing with customers face to face and via telephone or redirecting in line with Essex customer standards.
- Providing high quality self-directed clerical support, checking own work and proactively looking to raise standards.
- Maintaining confidential records according to Essex County Council policy and guidance.
- Providing support to the team or service with the organisation of events, conferences and workshops to ensure high quality events.
- Providing support across the team or service in dealing with correspondence, providing meeting support in terms of minute taking, documentation and finance support in all aspects of documentation processing, in a timely, consistent and professional manner.
- Sharing knowledge and good practice with colleagues and highlighting more efficient ways of delivering processes and customer service.
- Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework
The Experience You Will Bring
- Educated to RQF Level 2 (GCSE) including maths and English or an equivalent vocational qualification or equivalent demonstrable experience.
- Evidence of the ability to develop skills and knowledge in role and commitment to ongoing professional development.
- Demonstrable experience and competence of MS Office applications and practical application.
- Ability to use computerised systems with a high level of speed and accuracy.
- Customer service skills, face to face and remotely, including de-escalation and resilience in a challenging environment.
- Previous experience of managing electronic or hard copy filing systems.
- Ability to communicate in a manner which is easily understood and tailored to meet the needs of the audience.
- Experience of dealing with sensitive and/or personal information.
- Ability to think of improved ways of working and open to new practices and responsive to change.
- Ability to take ownership of work and fulfil agreed commitments, checking work for accuracy.
To read more about us please visit: People & Transformation
Why Essex? Essex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England’s oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest – Basildon and Harlow – are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career. Read more about us here.
Essex County Council is proud to be a Disability Confident Leader. We’re committed to interview all disabled applicants who choose to apply under our Job Interview Scheme if they meet the minimum requirements of the job. Please speak to our Recruiters if you require any reasonable adjustments during the process.
We’re also committed to interview all veterans and care leavers, who meet the minimum requirements of the role for which they are applying.
What you should do next
If you are interested in finding out more about this role, we would love to hear from you. Please apply via the Working for Essex website.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription, and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
If you would like to be kept up to date on other relevant opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news at Essex County Council, please join The Essex Talent Community here .
If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email firstname.lastname@example.org