Assistant Waste & Street Cleansing Manager
Permanent, Full Time
£34,728 to £38,946 per annum
Working Style: Community-based worker
Closing Date: 5th October 2022
Essex County Council (ECC) are delighted to be supporting Braintree Council to recruit this Assistant Waste & Street Cleansing Manager
The Assistant Waste & Street Cleansing Manager Opportunity:
We are looking for an Assistant Waste & Street Cleansing Manager to join our Operations Team in Braintree.
Working alongside a colleague Assistant Manager, you will manage the daily operations of the refuse, recycling and trade waste collections and street cleansing activities across the Braintree District. In addition, you will also manage the day-to-day activities at the Waste Transfer Station.
The effective line management of the large operational team is fundamental to this role, with a focus on performance and absence management to maximise attendance a key function, alongside the ability to support, motivate and develop our people.
You will be responsible for compliance across front line services in terms of safe working practices, Health and Safety, risk assessments and COSHH. Alongside this you will ensure our Operational fleet is compliant with our Operator’s licence.
It is essential you will have knowledge and experience of waste and street cleansing and hold the COTC qualification. A Certificate of Professional Competence in Road Transport Operations is desirable.
You must be an excellent communicator, enabling you to communicate with a range of people at all levels, including the Trade Unions. You will also need to have good IT and written skills, to be able to undertake investigations of both accidents and disciplinary matters.
If you have the relevant experience and the skills to make a difference, please apply now.
- To ensure the Council’s Waste Management & Street Cleansing Service is operated and maintained in compliance with statutory legislation and national and local policies and plans including health and safety, Operator’s Licence, Environment Agency permits, etc.
- To assist (and deputise for) the Waste & Street Cleansing Manager in the operational delivery and performance management of the Council’s Waste & Street Cleansing Management Service including Street activities, Food and Dry, Waste, Street Cleansing activities, Transfer Station and Small/Medium Vehicle Routes.
- To be responsible for the management and supervision of employees including performance management, team building, career development, sickness absence management and discipline.
- To be the Departmental Lead/Accountable Officer for Sickness Absence Management and Health and Safety compliance across all front line services, reporting directly to Operations Senior Management Team, including but not limited to the review of safe working practices, risk assessments and COSHH assessments across the Operations service.
- Support, motivate and develop Team Leaders, Supervisors and front line staff to ensure a cohesive and integrated approach to the delivery of services in Waste and Street Cleansing.
- Maintain a strong performance culture of continuous improvement, ensuring a proactive approach to changing customer/service/legislation requirements.
- To positively contribute to the overall management, development and reputation of Operations and the Council.
- To work in partnership with other local authorities across geographic areas on joint working initiatives to enhance service delivery and ensure effective use of resources.
- To manage the provision of high quality customer focused services, ensuring they are responsive to change.
- Manage external contractors involved in the day-to-day delivery of services and the waste transfer operation at the Waste Transfer Station.
- Manage and be accountable for the day to day operation of the licensed waste transfer operation, in accordance with the Environment Agency Permit/Licence/s, ensuring the Council maintains its statutory obligations.
- Complete statutory returns including quarterly returns to the Environment Agency and DEFRA.
- Assistant to the Waste & Street Cleansing Manager and Ops Commissioning Team in the preparation of specifications for procurement of all supplies and services in the service including the Waste Transfer Station.
- Regularly review working practices and procedures to optimise the best use of resources.
- Participate in partnership working across departmental, organisational and cross-border boundaries in order to ensure best practice.
- Contribute to the financial management of the Waste & Street Cleansing Services’ budgets including monitoring and accounting for expenditure.
- Contribute to the development and delivery of the Operations’ Business Plan.
- To monitor levels of sickness absence and take appropriate including conducting Stage 1-2 meetings and presenting at Sickness Absence Panel meetings and to the Waste & Street Cleansing Manager as required.
- Carry out all forms of investigations including potential disciplinary interviews in relation to staff conduct and present at formal meetings as required.
- Establish and maintain effective communication mechanisms and foster good working relationships within Operations including excellent industrial relations with Trade Union representatives.
- Act as the customer interface on all service related requests and corporate complaints ensuring they are thoroughly investigated, corrective action taken and lessons learnt.
- Establish and maintain external links with suitable comparative organisations to assist in the development of the services and to represent Operations at meetings both internally and externally.
- Maximise attendance at work and proactively address poor performance.
- Ensure the health and safety of employees at work through the implementation and monitoring of the Council’s/Department’s health and safety policies/plans and in accordance with all statutory requirements.
- Coordinate and manage resources required for any emergency works outside normal working hours.
- Maximise opportunities for efficiencies as well as income generation including trade waste, tipping away, Recycling Credits and sale of materials.
- Manage and deal with complaints in accordance with the Council’s SLA times and customer expectations.
- Manage the ordering, stock and delivery of the bins and bags utilised across the service. Provide efficiencies and ensure the annual and adhoc service is delivered as per the council’s expectations and in line with the SLA’s.
- Develop staff, ensuring that staff levels reflect the demands of the service and flexible/ generic working arrangements.
- Establish and maintain appropriate monitoring systems and provide accurate management information.
- Prepare reports and statistical information as required.
- Develop and support the District’s recycling infrastructure, maintaining and improving existing collections and supporting the introduction of new recycling initiatives.
- Work with the Waste & Street Cleansing Manager to ensure consistent line management.
- Work with other Managers/Supervisors/Team Leaders across Operations to ensure a seamless approach to service delivery.
- Respond in a positive and timely manner to all service requests/enquiries/complaints ensuring that corporate deadlines are met.
- Ensure that all staff demonstrate a customer focused, professional attitude and represent the Council in an exemplary manner.
- Proactively respond to, resolve or escalate any operational issues in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Carry out compliance checks in accordance with service procedures on all driving licences, tachographs and CPC documentation.
- Provide full support, cooperation and associated records and reports as requested by the Council’s in-house insurance function, external insurers or their appointed representatives.
- Provide out-of-hours and weekend management cover, as required, and participate in specific operations as instructed by the Waste Operations Manager/Head of Operations.
- Carry out timely investigations into complaints, road traffic accidents and health and safety incidents and submit completed reports to the Waste Operations Manager.
- Assist the Waste & Street Cleansing Manager in ensuring the operational fleet is serviced, inspected and maintained in accordance with the road transport legislation and in compliance with the Council’s Operator’s Licence.
Why choose Braintree District Council?
Braintree is an ambitious and dynamic Council and is becoming one of the fastest growing Districts in the East of England with three growing towns, London just 45 minutes away and the district located directly between the international transport centres of Stansted Airport and Harwich and Felixstowe International Ports. We have a deserved track record for delivering and a strong reputation within the business community.
Braintree District Council is a great place to work. We pride ourselves on our creative, innovative and forward thinking approach which is led by our staff. We are committed to having an engaged workforce who understand our strategy and how they can help deliver it.
Visit our website to read more about what our district offers residents, visitors, businesses and employees. You can also view our strategic investments and the innovative projects setting up home in our region.
Braintree District Council offers an excellent benefits package to all its employees which includes:
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Flexible working
- Free parking
- Local government pension scheme
- Learning and development for all staff
- Staff discount scheme
- Staff recognition schemes
- Extensive health and wellbeing programme including discounted gym membership
- Employee assistance programme
What should you do next?
If you are interested in finding out more about this role, we would love to hear from you. Please visit our Braintree District Council website or apply using the link below
Please Note – Essex County Council is advertising this role on behalf of Braintree District Council and if successful you will be employed by Braintree District Council