Full Time, Temporary
£12.81 per hour PAYE
Working Style: Fixed-base worker
Please note – this is a temporary assignment. You need to be available for weekend and evening working patterns through the summer. Flexible working is required. All candidates must be available for an immediate start.
The Assistant Chef will contribute to managing the delivery of a professional catering service to the visitors of the Essex Outdoor Centres, ensuring the customers experience meets and aims to exceed their expectations. Ensuring a clean, safe, tidy and welcoming place for customers to consume food, undertaking and supervising food preparation and processing, in line with safe food processes and practices, complying at all times with food and health and safety requirements.
Essex Outdoors is a leading provider of outdoor experiences to schools in the East of England and is looking to grow its customer base both within this region and across the country. Our vision is to make the Essex brand recognised as the UK leader in schools’ outdoor residential provision through innovation and customer focus. Essex Outdoors operates within a commercially competitive environment.
- Work alongside the Catering Lead to ensure the Catering Department delivers its objectives, ensuring best value for money and accurate in-year spend.
- Contribute to the planning of work schedules and ensure staff are allocated according to business need.
- Contribute to managing all staff working in the Catering Department, to ensure that FTE, Seasonal and Agency staff all have a deep understanding of their roles to increase efficiency and continuity of great service.
- Responsible for ensuring hygiene practices and regulations are stringently implemented in the kitchen and areas where food is handled/served whilst maintaining appropriate health and safety standards for all catering and serving areas to ensure the wellbeing of customers.
- Contribute to the management of on-site vending and the creation of menu plans for the centre, making appropriate provision for special dietary requirements and budget limitations.
- Contribute to the ordering of food and other supplies, stock control and controlling waste at a required level, whilst ensuring the correct, safe and economical use of equipment and fuel. Complying with procurement and financial processes.
- Engage with appropriate stakeholders to define requirements and achieve quality, timely and value for money services.
- Prepare, cook and, where necessary, serve meals and beverages to a standard and quality expected by Essex Outdoors and its customers. Carry out associated cleaning duties if required.
- Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
The Experience You Will Bring:
- Possesses a Level 2 catering qualification and / or experience of working within a large volume catering environment.
- Current First Aid and Food Hygiene certificates.
- Ability to develop skills and knowledge within role.
- Ability to ensure the maintenance of a high standard of cleanliness and hygiene for all resources to comply with statutory regulations.
- Experience of preparation, cooking and service of food and beverages to the required standard and volume with the ability to create and follow agreed menus and recipes.
- Ability to use kitchen and cleaning equipment and train others in the correct use of this equipment.
- Ability to manage and support the work of others and show good organisational skill.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written with experience of delivering excellent customer service.
- Ability to prioritise own workload and that of a team.
As part of employment with Essex County Council should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Please note that Essex County Council has determined that the off-payroll working rules will apply to this assignment and where a worker elects to provide their services through an intermediary (such as a personal services company) then income tax and primary national insurance contributions will be deducted at source from any payments made to the intermediary. Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment. We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people, as diversity is key to our success. If you’d like to find out more about our latest opportunities, blogs, news, events and industry related news click here to join our talent pool . If you have queries on this role or require anything further, please email email@example.com