Accounts Receivable and Banking Manager
Permanent, Full Time
Up to £44,165 per annum
Working Style: Anywhere worker
Closing Date: 16th August 2022
In line with Essex County Councils (ECC) Ways of Working, this role has been deemed as an ‘Anywhere Worker’ position. This means you are able to work remotely for the majority of the time, with occasional trips to the office (Chelmsford) based on business need. Any journeys to the office would be at your own expense. More specific details about this can be discussed at the interview stage should you be invited to interview.
This role is located within Transactional Services, of ECC’s Finance Directorate. Finance Transactional Services aims to provide a comprehensive financial transactional and support service, maximising new and innovative technology to provide excellent customer service using a multi skilled workforce.
The Finance Team Manager for Accounts Receivable and Banking is responsible for managing two teams, one for the accounts receivable function and one for delivering the daily banking needs of Essex County Council. Tasks include ensuring accurate transactions take place, daily/monthly and year end reconciliations are completed promptly, providing our diverse customers with suitable means for income to be collected, liaison with partners to ensure service delivery and reporting and monitoring of income streams.
You will be responsible for demonstrating exemplary standards in the provision and continuous improvement of income collection services, translating customer needs to deliver efficient and customer friendly processes.
With substantial experience of accounts receivable and cash management, as well as excellent leadership and communication skills, you will also be expected to have the ability to influence, motivate and manage a number of staff, ensuring they deliver consistently high levels of performance.
Commercial astuteness and awareness of best practice plus benchmarking and networking skills are essential in this role, as is the ability to lead change and recognise and support changes in technology to positively enhance the customer experience.
- Lead, drive and motivate a team of finance officers, to deliver exemplary standards in the provision and continuous improvement in financial transactions.
- Lead in the identification and clarification of customer needs to deliver process and technology changes, which drive efficiency and value for money.
- Lead in improving financial awareness and capability across the organisation, to promote the culture of empowering budget holders in line with financial regulations.
- Contribute to the production of reports for income and external customers to manage organisational performance, maximise income and ensure compliance with Financial Regulations.
- Lead on service improvement projects or programmes to achieve best practice and organisational efficiency.
- Lead in maintaining currency on legislation changes and translating these into local policy and procedure, to identify and review changes in technology to assess possibility introduce.
- Working collaboratively across the organisation to deliver and maintain a high level of service to all Functions.
- Lead in identifying, mitigating, managing and resolving risks to minimise financial impact and loss to the organisation.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Educated to RQF level 6 (Bachelor’s degree) or equivalent by experience. Project management accreditation/qualification, or equivalent by experience, would be desirable.
- Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant professional area.
- Substantial experience and good working knowledge of income systems and demonstrable accounts receivable and e-invoicing experience, in a high volume environment.
- Ability to interpret complex and varied information and use it to drive continuous improvement.
- Strong leadership skills and behaviours, building a diverse team to achieve shared objectives. Experience of managing cultural and operational change in a complex environment.
- Good level of commercial awareness, with the ability to build effective working relationships at senior level, with internal and external customers, suppliers and partners.
- Ability to evaluate and support innovative approaches to improving service delivery and value for money, with a strong focus on performance and delivery.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to negotiate, constructively challenge and influence at senior level across the Council and external partners.
Apply and next steps
Please apply via the Working for Essex website, ensuring you provide an up to date CV and supporting statement when prompted.
Interviews are expected to be held on a virtual / video call basis.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact Vicky Hotson, Service Manager on 033301 38463.